The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: wines for broken times

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: wines for broken times

by Mark S » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:57 pm

'Fix it', Mr. President said. 'Sir, it's not that easy. We've got a complex web of intertangled assets and loans and we may just be seeing the tip of the iceberg.' breathlessly replied the Treasury secretary. 'Might as well take up drinkin' again, let this morass pass...' 'Sir, that's the smartest thing anyone has said today!'

Foradori, Teroldego Rotaliano, 'Granato', 1999
Color of dark plum red. Despite this being a 'prestige' bottling of Foradori, it feels a bit simple, perhaps because Teroldego is a modest grape. There's a plummy boysenberry chocolaty richness here, but I'm not seeing anything that will improve with time. Okay only, but at $40, my pocket deserves better. B+

Lis Neris, Venezia Giulia IGT, 'Fiore di Campo', 2004
This is Tocai Friuliano, or Friuliano for the EC PC. Slight greyish cast to the light gold color. Aromatic herbs (esp. taragon) o nthe nose. Dull fruits with eonoki mushroom, light clover honey, evergreen needles, almost cilantro-like finish. Feels a little warm, at 13.5%. Cool label! B+

Baudry, Chinon, 'les Granges', 2004
Upon first opening, not much beyond green tomato stems and fresh cracked pepper. Comes across better the next day, making go from 'eh' to 'yeh'. Note that I probably prefer riper year Loire reds. B

Chidaine, Montlouis sur Loire, 'les Choisilles', 2005
With a name like a chisel, I was frankly expecting more cut and verve, but this is amazingly soft. Has an extremely chalky nose along with a lemon minerality. In the mouth it comes forward with a softish talcom and little fruit, despite feeling ripe. Disturbing high alcohol feel. 14% Turns less flattering the next day, so perhaps this needs time? B/B+

Chateau Charvin, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 1999
Color looking the part of a 9-year old greanche-based wine, with some orange rind on the rim. Heady nose of roses and crushed sassafras leaves. Sweet rosehip & strawberry jam, with an aged beef component on the end. Lush, and fully mature. Good. A-

Ceci, Emilia IGT, Malvasia 'la Luna' NV
Very hoppy and simple. Frizzante. I liked their Lambrusco better. Which also mildly sparkles.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

Re: WTN: wines for broken times

by R Cabrera » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:09 am

Chateau Charvin, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 1999
Color looking the part of a 9-year old greanche-based wine, with some orange rind on the rim. Heady nose of roses and crushed sassafras leaves. Sweet rosehip & strawberry jam, with an aged beef component on the end. Lush, and fully mature. Good. A-

Thank you for the notes.

Would the Chateau Charvin CdP happen be the Domaine Gerard Charvin CdP? I am just curious as I have a couple of the Domaine Gerard Charvin 1999 CdP and, if this is the same wine that you had and given your notes, then I feel pleasantly encouraged to pop a bottle soon.

Ramon
Ramon Cabrera