The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '00 Domaine Bernard Morey CM Clos St. Jean (Rouge)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

WTN: '00 Domaine Bernard Morey CM Clos St. Jean (Rouge)

by Gregg G » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:35 pm

2000 Domaine Bernard Morey et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St. Jean - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru (9/25/2008)
I love when wines out perform your expectations. Even better when it's a bottle I wasn't aware I had. Frankly, I don't even remember how I obtained this wine. I am a fan of Bernard's whites, so it was with some interest to try this wine when I discovered it in the cellar. This was popped and poured and showed lovely cherry spice aromas. It was unmistably Burgundy, but I couldn't quite place the terroir. There was no distinct perfum or exotics such as in Vosne or Gevrey. This wasn't as structured as say a CdN. Not elegant as in Chambolle or Volnay, nor quite the rustic power of Pommard, though there was some rusticity akin to some CdB wines like a Santenay, yet showing more elegant. Rustically elegant if you will...is that like chabby chic??? Anyway, the palate was smooth, suave and showing similar cherry flavors as the nose. Nice length and presence. A delightful wine indeed. Too bad I can't revisit this as I had only one bottle.
Regards,
Gregg
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: '00 Domaine Bernard Morey CM Clos St. Jean (Rouge)

by Redwinger » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:11 pm

Gregg-
Very nice note. Makes me want to drink a bottle, but like you, I have none.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!