The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Questions of taste and consistency

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

Re: Questions of taste and consistency

by Steve Kirsch » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:44 am

Rahsaan wrote:'The world is flat' was once axiomatic as well.

Are there now data to the contrary?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:46 am

Steve Kirsch wrote:Are there now data to the contrary?

Yes.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Covert wrote:My wife says that people outside of moneyed areas don’t have leisure time enough to pay attention to delicate cooking.

Covert,

How then would your wife explain myself and my friends? We live outside of "moneyed areas" yet can all pay enough attention to delicate cooking. Or how about people that do live in these "moneyed areas" and cannot cook worth a damn? I know from firsthand experience that there are plenty of those types out there.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:07 pm

Covert,
I think you just answered your own question. As I am sure you know, the '02's are problematic and still need a little air/time, maybe 3-4 years depending on the chateaux, or maybe a warmer than normal storage. I am not familiar with that chateau but as you know St. Estephe is the most firm of the Medoc wines.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:51 pm

Richard Fadeley wrote:Covert,
I think you just answered your own question. As I am sure you know, the '02's are problematic and still need a little air/time, maybe 3-4 years depending on the chateaux, or maybe a warmer than normal storage. I am not familiar with that chateau but as you know St. Estephe is the most firm of the Medoc wines.

Perhaps we should ask what Covert's wife thinks.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:10 pm

Dave R wrote:
Covert wrote:My wife says that people outside of moneyed areas don’t have leisure time enough to pay attention to delicate cooking.

Covert,

How then would your wife explain myself and my friends? We live outside of "moneyed areas" yet can all pay enough attention to delicate cooking. Or how about people that do live in these "moneyed areas" and cannot cook worth a damn? I know from firsthand experience that there are plenty of those types out there.

She would probably say I misquoted her. And she was talking averages, not everybody.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:30 pm

Covert wrote:
Dave R wrote:

Covert,

She would probably say I misquoted her. And she was talking averages, not everybody.

Covert,

Now I am even more intrigued because my friends and I are "average" cooks. So the average cannot delicately prepare a meal because they do not live in "moneyed areas"?
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:39 am

Dave R wrote:Covert, Now I am even more intrigued because my friends and I are "average" cooks. So the average cannot delicately prepare a meal because they do not live in "moneyed areas"?

Dave, I was strictly talking about the average restaurant, not individual people cooking in their homes. We live in the backwoods on weekends and cook better than any of the local restaurants do, in our opinion. You could probably argue also that you have dined in a good restaurant out of moneyed areas and big cities. I wouldn't be able to argue against that, either, and wouldn't want to. I have just personally rarely found really good and delicate food in a restaurant anywhere other than in moneyed areas or big cities, and I have dined out all over the country for almost 50 years. On rare occassions when I have stumbled into such gems, they didn't last long, because people of what I call "average" tastes didn't go back. My statements are almost all expressions of my personal experience and assumptions of idealization or generalization from them, for the sake of discussion, not citations of facts per se, which take statistical evidence to "prove." By the time anything becomes an accepted fact, it is boring to talk about, for me, anyway.
Previous