The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rose and Rioja

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Rose and Rioja

by Dale Williams » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:54 am

With leftover "paella" and salad, we tried a couple of wines:

2007 Dom. Fenouillet Cotes du Ventoux Rose
New one to me, this was I think leftover bottle- someone brought to Labor Day fest and it was never opened. Rosenthal import. Strawberry fruit, a little tobacco, moderate acidity. Not much length, but ok for what it is. B/B-

1999 La Rioja Alta "Vina Ardanza" Rioja Reserva
Really a lot of spice, both on nose and palate. Clove and cinnamon, and a good dose of American oak dilliness. Ripe red fruit, this is surprisingly mature compared to a bottle couple years ago, if this is typical drink up. I'd call this just to traditional side of center. Nice balance of acidity and fruit, resolved tannins, a nice wine if you're not totally oakaphobic (in which case you probably shouldn't be drinking young Rioja). Personally, a little less oak would have been even better for me, but I enjoyed. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.