The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Texier and Dveri Pax - both great

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Texier and Dveri Pax - both great

by Saina » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:06 pm

A very happy weekend with both wines showing supremely well. The Texier was bordering on the profound (it did rather remind me of white Musar) even though it was a white Rhone! ;)

Though I find that texturally soups are hard with most wines, I have found that heavy whites like Rhones often will work with a soup of Jerusalem artichokes with smoked reindeer. Peel the 'chokes and boil them in a small amount of water until done. Save the water it was boiled in (they're small, much of the flavor will dissolve into the water) and reduce it. Smash the 'chokes into a pulp (use some of the water it was boiled in to make it pulpy quicker - it's easier to reduce just the water, not the whole soup or it will burn, i.e. use as little water as possible for the soup!). Then add some cream, salt and pepper.

• 2005 Éric Texier Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc Vieilles Vignes - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (9/27/2008)
    13,5% abv. Gold. Upon opening this reminded me of white Musar with its earthy and slightly funky notes, but it opened up to scents of apricots, honey and flowers. Firm and fruity; great grip, great acidity for a Southern white, long. Though full bodied, it is precise, very clean and pure. Quite wonderful!
  • 2007 Dveri Pax Traminec - Slovenia, Štajerska (9/27/2008)
    Once again, this was simply a delightful wine! A floral scent, very mineral, it has some of the exotic, sweetish notes of Gewurz, but in a much lighter, less unctuous way. It has a slightly "perlant" quality to it; light as a feather, yet with a touch of ripe fruit and juicy acidity, good grip - lasts a long time though it is a light wine. Very charming.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.