The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Arcadian Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: 2002 Arcadian Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:25 pm

There are a few domestic pinots that I find appealing and Arcadian tops the list. Last night I attended a dinner at a very good Long Island restaurant where the gentleman organizing suggested that we bring American wines. I was happy to bring this wine which I had yet to taste. Sadly, the wine was horribly corked. I could easily have brought another bottle, since I had one, but I only thought to bring a white backup as I was the only person bringing a white wine. As luck would have it, I made the wrong choice.
Fast forward to tonight. I was anxious to open my other 2002 Arcadian Dierberg Vineyard, and it was delicious. Aromas of cherries and spice. On the palate there were sweet cherries, raspberries, and flowers. Medium bodied, well balanced, and so disappointed that the others could not enjoy this wine.
Diane
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: 2002 Arcadian Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard

by James Dietz » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:16 pm

Thanx for the note on this, Diane. I have 1 bottle in my cellar of the 02, but don't remember if I have tried it before. LIke you, Arcadian is one of my favorite CA producers of Pinot (and Chard; they are amazing!!).

Be sure to let them know about the corked bottle. I'm sure they will replace it. Joe Davis is very proud of his wines.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:00 pm

James Dietz wrote:Be sure to let them know about the corked bottle. I'm sure they will replace it. Joe Davis is very proud of his wines.

I hope so. Ever since Mark Vlossak bit my head off for asking (prompted especially because I opened two corkers in a row), I've been hesitant.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:11 pm

Jim - I have heard Arcadian's chards are wonderful, yet I haven't had the pleasure to try one. My favorite vineyard has been Sleepy Hollow, and while the Dierberg was very good, SH remains my favorite. I have every intention of alerting Joe of the corked bottle.

Jenise - I'm shocked that a winemaker would not come through to make up for a faulty bottle, and I would be extremely surprised if Joe Davis did not suggest a replacement. I have had very positive correspondence with him in the past.
Diane
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:40 pm

Diane.. I agree on the SH vineyard.. I have had the '00 SH Chard many times, and still have one bottle... just wonderful. The '05 is just lovely too.. and in a blind tasting it had most of us guessing New World, but with a distinct Old World character that led most of us to think it was from Oregon. Terrific Chards for those who think CA can only make oak bombs.
Cheers, Jim