The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three more from the Pac NW

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Three more from the Pac NW

by Jenise » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:20 pm

2005 Lost River Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley, WA 13.9%, $24
An unusual cabernet for these here parts from a winery that isn't trying to make textbook wines: very savory nose and palate with roasted meats, green olives and herbs dominating the black fruit. Dry finish with gritty tannins. Bob commented, astutely, that it reminded him more of a young Crozes Hermitage than any cabernet he's had recently, and I can see why. Interesting, but wouldn't purchase again.

2005 Kennedy Shah Merlot, Rattlesnake Hills, WA, 14.5%, $13 (Costco)
New winery to me. This was a very interesting wine on Day One, with an even balance of red and black fruit on a medium frame, good acidity and little heat despite the alcohol content. But on Day two, when many a remaining two inches in a casually re-corked thirteen dollar bottle fail, it was even MORE interesting. It had a "ooh wow!" kind of nose with captivatingly different flowers and tea scents, no mocha, and a better filled out midpalate. It's not like any WA merlot I've ever had, and it drinks well above its price. A reading of the label revealed why: it contains 12% petite verdot and 8% malbec. The combination's quite fetching and this wine should improve with short-term cellaring--I'm guessing up to five more years.

2005 Dobbes Family Estate Pinot Noir V, Grande Assemblage Cuvee, Dundee, OR, 13.5%, $25 at the winery
One of the best bargains in Oregon at $25 from one of the more Burgundian pinot noir makers I've had wines from. That is, Joe Dobbes coaxes more complexity out of a grape than most, and his wines have lovely acidity and balance without heavy extract or noticeable oak. This is another bottle started Friday night and finished Saturday that survived casual care and yet sung even more brightly. I like his wines SO much I'm even thinking about joining the club. His syrahs and whites (especially the viognier) are just as good.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Three more from the Pac NW

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:36 pm

...must...resist...placing...order...for...Washington...wines...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:41 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:...must...resist...placing...order...for...Washington...wines...

While this isn't the Probation group thread, I'm hoping it's appropriate to chime in here: Look at the price tags on most of those WA wines. Then look at the price tags on the good stuff you have in your cellar. Resistance will become much easier.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:35 am

Salil Benegal wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:...must...resist...placing...order...for...Washington...wines...

While this isn't the Probation group thread, I'm hoping it's appropriate to chime in here: Look at the price tags on most of those WA wines. Then look at the price tags on the good stuff you have in your cellar. Resistance will become much easier.

So you are judging by price? More expensive is always better? If one wishes, one can spend $75 for a bottle of Joe Dobbes' Quailhurst Vineyard pinot, and in fact I strongly reccomend that you do. I've got a few bottles in my cellar; but while I'm waiting for them, this Grand Assemblage cuvee is very very good, and it's a wine I'd prefer to many another Oregon winery's best bottling.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:10 am

I think Salil is saying that I've managed to buy a lot of great wine at very low prices (he's still in shock at the $15.99 original sticker on a bottle of 1995 Donnhoff Spatlese...should I mention that I got 20% off that...) & maybe can use current NW pricing as a deterrent.

Of course price has never been a deterrent for me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:54 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I think Salil is saying that I've managed to buy a lot of great wine at very low prices (he's still in shock at the $15.99 original sticker on a bottle of 1995 Donnhoff Spatlese...should I mention that I got 20% off that...) & maybe can use current NW pricing as a deterrent.

Of course price has never been a deterrent for me.

Oh, okay. Obviously I misread him--I would have thought prices of $13 to $25 more in the budget than the deterrent range.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:30 pm

Jenise,
Friends from Atlanta "discovered" Joe Dobbes' wines and introduced them to me. I went so far as to ask the winery who distributes their wines in North Carolina but haven't pursued it yet. Their Pinot Noirs impressed me a great deal.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:31 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Jenise,
Friends from Atlanta "discovered" Joe Dobbes' wines and introduced them to me. I went so far as to ask the winery who distributes their wines in North Carolina but haven't pursued it yet. Their Pinot Noirs impressed me a great deal.

JC, these are definitely wines that will suit your tastes. Production is pretty small so I wouldn't guess they'd get too far (beyond the cheap Joe's label), but they're worth finding if you can. I'd never even heard of them until we visited the area last fall and ate at Nick's--I asked our waiter to serve us his favorite pinot we'd never heard of. He brought the 04 Dobbes Quailhurst, and now I'm a fan. I'm kicking myself for not buying more of the Grand Assemblage.