The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN /Wine Advisor: How old can Beaujolais go?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN /Wine Advisor: How old can Beaujolais go?

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:57 am

How old can Beaujolais go?

Beaujolais is a benchmark case of a wine not meant for aging.

Indeed, the annually promoted Nouveau Beaujolais, which will hit the news as usual when it arrives in November, is one of the most short-lived wines on Earth: The old conventional wisdom was that you bought it in late November and drank it up before New Year's.

Modern times have improved that record a bit, but it's generally a good idea to drink Nouveau within a few months (if at all, he adds snidely), and regular Beaujolais and Beaujolais-Villages within a year or two after the vintage.

But as with every rule, you'll find an occasional standout exception. In the case of Beaujolais, the exception comes in the region's "Cru" wines, those made from the vineyards around 10 specific villages so highly regarded that their wines are labeled with the village names rather than the generic "Beaujolais." Here's your shopping list: Brouilly, Chénas, Chiroubles, Côte de Brouilly, Fleurie, Juliénas, Morgon, Moulin-a-Vent, Régnié and Saint-Amour.

Just like the Nouveau, generic Beaujolais and Beaujolais-Villages, the "Crus" are made 100 percent from the Gamay grape; and in their youth they do share the variety's fruity strawberry character. But - particularly from the best artisanal producers - they add intriguing complexity and subtle minerality that you won't find in the simpler wines;

Unlike the more basic Beaujolais, a well-made "Cru" can evolve and gain interest with a few years of careful cellaring. With good luck it will develop into something bearing at least a cousinly kinship to Burgundy's Pinot Noir. (And it should be noted that, in ancient times, Gamay was permitted in Burgundy; and Beaujolais is legally considered the southernmost part of the Burgundy region and may optinoally carry the English legend "Red Burgundy Wine" on the label.

The other day, looking over some dusty bottles in a corner of my modest collection, I discovered a "cellar orphan," a single bottle of "Grand Cru" Beaujolais that I had received as a gift from a friend years ago and frankly forgotten was there. A Juliénas subtitled "Cuvée Prestige" from Michel Tête's Domaine du Clos du Fief, it bore the 1999 vintage on a neck label.

A nine-year-old Cru Beaujolais? Who knew? Could it be any good? A look at the cork was reassuring: Well over an inch long, it was the kind of substantial, relatively costly stopper that producers rarely use unless a wine is meant for the cellar. The cork came out solid, firm and clean, and while a lot of red-clay earthiness rose from the bottle, so did good, ripe Gamay strawberry aromas.

The wine was fine, and a later peek at the Website of the importer, New York City's Louis/Dressner, indicated that I shouldn't have expected any less. Tête's Cuvée Prestige "is aromatically backward in its youth, and its dense, velvety matter develops harmoniously with some bottle age," Dressner wrote. That sounds about right to me.

Unfortunately, you'll be hard-pressed to find 1999 Tête Juliénas on the open market. But Wine-Searcher.com shows more recent vintages back to 2004 selling in the U.S. in the $19 to $25 range, and that's a pretty comfortable niche for a cellar-worthy wine.

Michel Tête Domaine du Clos du Fief 1999 Juliénas Cuvée Prestige

Very dark ruby with a touch of bronze at the clear edge but no real browning. Substantial earthiness has developed, something reminiscent of wet red clay, but there's a surprising touch of Gamay strawberry left too, and an intriguing minerally "gunflint" note in a complex, interesting aroma. Red-berry fruit and earth carry over on the palate with crisp, nicely balanced acidity. Holding up surprisingly well and showing at least a hint of "Burgundian" character. U.S. importer: LDM Inc., NYC; Louis/Dressner Selections. (Sept. 28, 2008)

FOOD MATCH: Birdie's eggplant and tomato "Choka," Trinidadian recipe from Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian" cookbook.

VALUE: Wine-Searcher.com shows recent vintages at retail in the U.S. in the $19 to $25 range. Cellar a young one for five years, and you'll have a wine that more than justifies that price.

WHEN TO DRINK: It has held up remarkably well even with "passive" cellaring, but I don't think I'd hold it much longer without a quality cellar capable of holding a constant 55F (13C); even with ideal cellaring, a decade is pushing it for even the best Beaujolais.

WEB LINK:
This link will take you to a short article about Michel Tête and his wines on the U.S. importer's Website:
http://louisdressner.com/Tete/

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
The 1999 vintage would be difficult to locate except perhaps through private purchase from a collector, but this link will provide vendors and compare prices for more recent vintages of Michel Tête Domaine du Clos du Fief Juliénas on Wine-Searcher.com:
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/Tete% ... g_site=WLP

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN /Wine Advisor: How old can Beaujolais go?

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:03 pm

"Grand Cru"? I believe Cru Beaujolais is the term.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:25 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:"Grand Cru"? I believe Cru Beaujolais is the term.

Hmm, let me double-check. I pulled the term (along with the list) from an old article, and maybe I got it wrong back then and nobody noticed. <gulp>
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:26 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Cru Beaujolais is the term.

Yeah, thanks, careless of me. I actually used it correctly at one point. This is why I usually like to post these things here a couple of hours before I sent out the mailing. Thanks for the catch, David!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:04 pm

I have had two expreiences with aged Beaujolais with mixed results. The most recent was a 1995 Jadot Beaujolais Villages, that was getting tired. http://www.wldg.com/village/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17913.
The second was a 2 year old Beaujolais Nouveau that was still very nice: http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_submitted/wine_notes/tn_482482.html.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:16 pm

I like a few years of age on some Cru Beaujolais, especially Morgan and Moulin a Vent from bigger vintages. It seems to me those two need age, though CdBrouilly, Fleurie, and Julienas can age at least 5-8 years pretty well. That said, the oldest Beaujolais I hold now are some '02 Coudert Fleuries. Thanks for article.
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

by Nigel Groundwater » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Thanks for the note.
I drink a fair bit of Beaujolais but mainly from a small range of producers and crus - Moulin a Vent and Morgon and Jadot's single vineyard Clos wines [mainly Grand Carquelin and Rochegres] from Chateau des Jacques for the former and Marcel Lapierre for the latter. Unfortunately the Jadot wines have become much more expensive but IMO are still worth experiencing. They are made in the same way as Burgundy rather than in the Beaujolais tradition.

I have had excellent versions of the MaVs up to 10 years old but am currently drinking the 2002s and some 2003s. There are several other producers that I buy less often; not because I think they are inferior but because I enjoy the others best and there is only so much room for Beaujolais good as it can be.
Pierre-Marie & Martine Chermette, Domaine du Vissoux – 2 Fleurie [Poncie in particular], Moulin-a-Vent
Jean Foillard - Morgon
Clos de la Roilette [Alain Coudert] - Fleurie
Jean-Paul Thevenet - Morgon
Jean-Paul Brun, Domaine des Terres Dorées - various appellations
Jean-Marc Burgaud - Morgon
I have drunk a number of Burgaud's Morgons recently and really enjoyed them and they will age well. I have had older bottles of all the above which had gained complexity and a more Burgundian feel without losing that Beaujolais taste.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Robin,
I know that you're writing this for the masses and so seek to dispel the image of Beaujolais as light, inconsequential stuff. Still, I must relate to you my experiences tasting with a vigneron in Fleurie, now sadly retired and his vineyards sold off (no heirs), who told me in '01 of having recently opened up a '47 Fleurie that was drinking fabulously and was a Côte d'Or deadringer. Several of those biggers Crus, especially Morgon and M-à-V, are reputed to be capable of improving with decades of age and taking on the character of aged Pinot Noir in top years when made "seriously." All the more reason to decry the production of "Bojopiffle" -- as a friend of mine puts it.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:24 am

Mark Lipton wrote:I know that you're writing this for the masses and so seek to dispel the image of Beaujolais as light, inconsequential stuff. Still, I must relate to you my experiences tasting with a vigneron in Fleurie, now sadly retired and his vineyards sold off (no heirs), who told me in '01 of having recently opened up a '47 Fleurie that was drinking fabulously and was a Côte d'Or deadringer. Several of those biggers Crus, especially Morgon and M-à-V, are reputed to be capable of improving with decades of age and taking on the character of aged Pinot Noir in top years when made "seriously." All the more reason to decry the production of "Bojopiffle" -- as a friend of mine puts i

Great story, Mark! It's not just a matter of the "masses" in this case ... even when writing for wine geeks, I'd put a case like yours in the "rare and wonderful exception" category, along with similar experiences I've had with ancient Gruner Veltliners at Mantlerhof in Austria (Michael P will remember this) and with decades-old Lugana whites in Lombardia.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:43 am

There's one critical point regarding that '47 Fleurie - it had never left home. There have been all sorts of stories about great bottles consumed in situ. It's very hard to recreate that effect anywhere else.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:46 am

David M. Bueker wrote:There's one critical point regarding that '47 Fleurie - it had never left home. There have been all sorts of stories about great bottles consumed in situ. It's very hard to recreate that effect anywhere else.

Good point, and that would also apply to my epiphanic experiences with ancient GV and Lugana: In both instances, the bottles had never left the winery.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:30 am

I too am a fan of aged Beaujolais; even a few that are not cru wines have made it a long way.
Although nothing like Mark's '47, I had an '83 Beaujolais-Villages within the last couple of years that I'd have sworn came from Gevrey.
And I have a cellar full of bottles back to 1998 that I intend to age long term.
Vive la Beajolais!
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

by Jim Brennan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:47 am

Any thoughts on the ageability of Domaine Diochon Moulin-a-Vent? I have a few bottles of the '05, which I found quite enjoyable now.
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:56 am

At work last year, we opened up a 1997 Chiroubles. I was completely flabbergasted - it was lovely. You'd be tempted to say 'don't try this at home, folks' but gosh, sometimes I guess Beaujolais, even an unexpected cru, can be super with age. cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:12 pm

Jim Brennan wrote:Any thoughts on the ageability of Domaine Diochon Moulin-a-Vent? I have a few bottles of the '05, which I found quite enjoyable now.

Powerful year, excellent producer, the most long-lived site in the cru; it should last very well, indeed.
But if you enjoy it now, why not drink it now?
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:42 pm

In the late 90s, I was offered a 1978 Morgon by a friend; I forget the producer. While not one of my great wine memories, I recall it as a solid performer more like a good 10-15 year villages wine from Côte d'Or than a young Beaujolais cru. I remember reading in my old reference books that the Beaujolais locals used to say "il morgonne" of their wines which acquired a more burgundian character with age.

As other people say, the other Beaujolais cru with a good ageing reputation is Moulin-à-Vent, of which I have had a very good Duboeuf 1995 when about 10 years old. I have heard about but not experienced grandiose aged bottles of Moulin-à-V from stellar vintages like 1945.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:12 pm

I was in college, mid-1970s. Wanted to impress someone, probably a girl. I bought a 1968 Beaujolais that had been sitting in a nice sunny window for who knows how long. What a first lesson! I don't think I tried wine again 'til 1985.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:13 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:I was in college, mid-1970s. Wanted to impress someone, probably a girl. I bought a 1968 Beaujolais that had been sitting in a nice sunny window for who knows how long. What a first lesson! I don't think I tried wine again 'til 1985.

Vanity, they name is vinegar.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:51 pm

We had some Jadot 2004 Beaujolais-Villages tonight that seemed a bit old and alcoholic for my tastes.

Unless the bottle had been fried.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:02 am

Rahsaan wrote:We had some Jadot 2004 Beaujolais-Villages tonight that seemed a bit old and alcoholic for my tastes.

Unless the bottle had been fried.

Tough call, Rahsaan ... I generally rank Jadot the top Beaujolais mega-producer and find consistent QPR in his wines. Still, even four years could be enough to have a B-V showing as tired. Could be either ... or both.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:16 am

I have a stash of 02 Clos de la Roilette Vendage Tardive that has yet to come around. I have sampled a couple of bottles, and each tasting suggested more bottle age is in order.
Anyone have an opinion on this wine?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

by Jim Brennan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:38 am

Florida Jim wrote:Powerful year, excellent producer, the most long-lived site in the cru; it should last very well, indeed.

I've had a few already, but I'm curious to see how they'll age. They seem powerful examples of the grape, with lots of fruit and good structure, so it seems like it would accept some age nicely. On the flip side, since I've not had many examples of beaujolais with bottle age, it's entirely possible that I might prefer them now, rather than 5 or 10 years from now. The quandary, of course, is that there's only one way to truly learn whether bottle age will benefit the wine, which is to lay a few bottles down.

So I'd say that intellectual curiosity plays a role. Of course, if people with a reasonable degree of experience with this producer (and quality Beaujolais producers in general) felt that the ride was likely to be mostly downhill then I might only lay down 1 (rather than 3 or 4)... but I'd almost certainly still do at least that one bottle for the sake of the learning experience.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:53 am

Jim Brennan wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:Powerful year, excellent producer, the most long-lived site in the cru; it should last very well, indeed.

I've had a few already, but I'm curious to see how they'll age. They seem powerful examples of the grape, with lots of fruit and good structure, so it seems like it would accept some age nicely. On the flip side, since I've not had many examples of beaujolais with bottle age, it's entirely possible that I might prefer them now, rather than 5 or 10 years from now. The quandary, of course, is that there's only one way to truly learn whether bottle age will benefit the wine, which is to lay a few bottles down.

So I'd say that intellectual curiosity plays a role. Of course, if people with a reasonable degree of experience with this producer (and quality Beaujolais producers in general) felt that the ride was likely to be mostly downhill then I might only lay down 1 (rather than 3 or 4)... but I'd almost certainly still do at least that one bottle for the sake of the learning experience.

Well, either way, it won't break the bank so an experiment sounds feasible.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:16 pm

John Tomasso wrote:I have a stash of 02 Clos de la Roilette Vendage Tardive that has yet to come around. I have sampled a couple of bottles, and each tasting suggested more bottle age is in order.
Anyone have an opinion on this wine?

John -

I posted on this back in spring, finding it (surprisingly) quite mature already and ready to go. It was already well along the old-Burgundy track to me and I plan to drink my next 2 bottles sometime over the next 3-5 years. Hope this helps.

Mark
Next