The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: TreViti Cambria Chard '04 and Syrah '05..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: TreViti Cambria Chard '04 and Syrah '05..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:57 pm

Eager to try the other TreViti wines, I cracked this weekend w/ friends:
1. TreViti Chard CentralCoast (13.5%; http://www.TreViti.com) 2004: Med.gold color; light pencilly/oak clean/melony/Chard light earthy pleasant nose; tart bit lean light earthy/minerally clean/appley/melony/Chard flavor; tart/lean bit metallic/earthy/minerally light appley/melony finish; pleasant/drinkable Chard at a good price. $17.00
2. TreViti StoloFamilyVnyd Syrah CentralCoast/Cambria (14.6%) 2005: Dark color; lovely very peppery/cracked black pepper/spicy light roasted/Rhonish/pungent/Graillot-like some blackberry/Syrah light earthy complex nose; tart/tangy very cracked black pepper/cold-climate Syrah light roasted/Rhonish light pencilly/toasty/oak some blackberry/Syrah interesting flavor; long tangy/tart/lean cracked black pepper/cold-climate Syrah/peppery light earthy/roasted/coffee/Rhonish finish w/ light tannins; classic cold-climate Syrah/cracked black pepper w/ nice Rhonish undertonesc and an acidity that recalls a Texier StJoseph or Crozes-Hermitage; very fairly priced at $30.00
I tried the '05 Chard last week and was mightly impressed with it for its very dramatic spiciness and a richness that belied its acidity. This '04 version is a four-square/clean Chard that doesn't quite have the spiciness or richness of that '05 version; nice clean crisp Chard but not as dramatic.
The Syrah, though, was everything I was hoping for in a cold-climate Syrah. It has all the classic cold-climate/cracked black pepper/Syrah character that you find in the Bassetti Syrahs, particularly the EdStJohn. It has a high acidity that bodes well for much improvement with bottle age. It doesn't have the richness & power that you get in Bassetti Syrah; it's a leaner/more restrained Syrah that reminds me a lot of EricTexier's style, from a lesser appellation like StJoseph or Crozes-Hermitage. For fans of SteveEdmunds Syrahs, I think this would be one that appeals.
Anyway, StoloFamilyVnyd appears to be classic cold-climate Syrah and I would guess will be of the stature of Bassetti, QueSyrah,FaillaEstate, Peay, Hudson, LosMadres as the vines mature.
Tom