The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Port paired with ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Port paired with ?

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:20 pm

A friend of mine is hosting a dinner to celebrate his birthday. I will be bringing a bottle of 1985 Graham's and he is wondering if he should serve it with cheese or dessert. My Port epiphany was a glass of this same vintage Port with a slice of a decadent chocolate cake. That is my preference, but I don't want to influence him based on that. I think it was years ago, that Roy Hersh said it was best served with Stilton.
How do you serve Port?
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Port paired with ?

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:21 pm

cheese, maybe some nuts/dried fruit
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:39 pm

I'm not sure I've ever served a VP at my home that I didn't serve Stilton! As a more general theme, I'm with David- cheese and nuts. Stilton is magic, Gorgonzola and Cabrales aren't far behind, but pretty good match with harder/drier cheeses (aged cheddar, Gouda, Manchego) in addition to the blues.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:40 pm

Stilton for those who like opposites attracting; chocolate for those who like similarity attracting.

Either works.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:48 pm

Chocolate? With a vintage Port? Faugh!

With a Ruby, perhaps, but having chocolate with a VP is like listening to Bach on a cellphone - one should know better.

And there are (at least) two views on cheese with wine. I know that many people consider that Port and cheese are a match made in Heaven, but others (and I find myself increasingly in this camp) say that if you really must eat cheese with wine, whites hold up better than Port or other reds.

So go the stilton route if you must, but also consider just the wine on its own - Heaven knows it warrants you unalloyed attention. You can always follow up with cheese after the Port, or halfway through if you must.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:02 pm

Hello Diane,

I try and serve both cheese (Stilton) and a dessert. I love cheese...particularly a good Stilton, however, Port is just too sweet for me, and I really prefer to drink it with a sweet dessert. I think chocolate cake is a perfect match. I actually prefer Stilton with a Spatlese Riesling. It's not a classic match but, it's just the right sweetness for my palate with a cheese.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:32 pm

If you really want to enjoy the port, I would suggest pairing it with a preceding meal that is not too heavy on the alcohol :D
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:10 pm

Diane,

As others have mentioned Stilton works well with VP, but my favorite pairing is Blue cheese. It turns some people off, but I think it creates a nice synergy.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:12 am

A good cigar, on the mild side.

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:38 am

Manchego cheese is tried and tested at my port sessions, plus some nuts and dried fruits. A chocolate cake is OK for the non-geek crowd!!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:47 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Manchego cheese is tried and tested at my port sessions, plus some nuts and dried fruits. A chocolate cake is OK for the non-geek crowd!!

Non-geek = people not able or interested in giving proper attention to a wine...? :twisted:
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:17 am

I'm in the stilton club, too, as long as the stilton is at the same temp as the VP.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:47 am

Chocolate chip cookies with walnuts!

SERIOUSLY. One Elliott Apter championed this combination years ago on the old Compuserve board, and I've never seen it bested. The butter and salt flavors in the dough work the same contrast angle the blue cheese does, but the chocolate works the grape flavors and the walnuts pick up the tannins and secondary nuances from aging. A chocolate torte I made once of serious chocolate cake with tweener layers of fresh ground hazelnut butter was as good for virtually all the same reasons and would be better in a formal setting, but if you go the cheese route, adding a plate of chocolate chip cookies to the table is a nice touch for those who can't be separated from their sweets, and a nice revelation to boot.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:52 am

Nuts have been mentioned, but in particular, I find almonds are a great match with port. Or try an almond cake, as long as it's not too sweet.

If you do go with chocolate, make sure it's dark chocolate. The real stuff, not the candy version.
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:10 am

We like to serve aged vintage port with a tray of freshly-baked small appetizer crackers of bleu cheese and nuts. I will be happy to share a recipe; we play with variations on it all the time. The cracker works well with many other wines as well, our favorite being in particular Drouhin Clos des Mouches (blanc). Makes me hungry right now.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:47 am

Sam Platt wrote:As others have mentioned Stilton works well with VP, but my favorite pairing is Blue cheese.

When people have been saying "Stilton" I was assuming they were meaning blue cheese. Or amd I missing something here? Is Blue cheese something specific? Or is white Stilton a lot more popular state-side than I would imagine.

A cheese board with Stilton and maybe a few more mature hard cheeses, is the way to go. Fruit and nuts wouldn't hurt. But frankly if I had a decent Port I'd probably be concentrating on the wine rather than the wine/food matches. For chocolate desserts and cakes, I'd go for a Red VdN, e.g. Maury - lower ABV and less to worry about spoiling.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Arghhh!

I throw up my hands at all the adulteration of the vintage Port experience with pudding, fruit, cheese.....do you guys slip a shot of cassis into your Dom Perignon, too? :shock:

Let's assume for a minute that we are talking about a lesser Port, perhaps a ruby or LBV or vintage character. What would I consume with it other than Stilton (which I agree is the queen of cheeses - hey, Rogov - there's another poll thread for you!) but one can also use any decent blue cheese, which includes many French ones as well as a Johnny-come-lately British cheese, Shropshire, a veined orange cheese.

I have a tart that I make using Roquefort and walnuts. There is no added sugar. It mates excellently with Port. I promise you I would post the recipe, but all I see in my recipe file on the computer here at work are instructions on how to debone a turkey, interesting in itself, but hardly on subject.

If anyone wants a savoury cheese and walnut tart recipe, let me know and I'll dig at home, or ask Jenise, who I expect has a better filing system than me.

And to all you walnut aficionados, I ask this question - which way works best with wine, au natural, or blanched and peeled? The coating on a walnut is pretty darned tannic/bitter, and I've seen blanched walnuts served because of this.
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

walnutty

by Jeff_Dudley » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:45 pm

I much prefer black walnuts to most commercial "English" versions, unblanched. Yes, that skin is a bit bitter and a lovely contrast with the densely sweet port. The meat pieces are smaller than in English walnuts.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Stilton vs Blue

by Bernard Roth » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:10 pm

Steve,
In the US, Stilton means Stilton and Blue means any type of cheese with blue mold intentionally introduced as part of its character.

85 Graham's is a terrific vintage port and is on cruise control now as far as its drinkability. I would serve it with a small selection of firm cheeses, including Stilton, aged Manchego, and perhaps Piave. I'd serve fresh or preserved figs (like the Spanish fig cake) and walnut bread or roasted nuts.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:24 pm

For me the meal is completed whenever the port comes round and additional food would add a complication I don't need.

That's my preference & habit, rather than any crirticism of the food matches.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:40 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:For me the meal is completed whenever the port comes round and additional food would add a complication I don't need.

That's my preference & habit, rather than any crirticism of the food matches.

regards

Ian

I've been known to grab a warm loaf of bread, some Stilton, a few nuts, and a Port for dinner! Then, Port for the dessert ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

Re: Stilton vs Blue

by Steve Slatcher » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Bernard Roth wrote:In the US, Stilton means Stilton and Blue means any type of cheese with blue mold intentionally introduced as part of its character.

OK, thanks. Pretty much like over here then. I was just a little confused because Sam seemed to imply Stilton was not a blue cheese, but that was maybe just unfortunate phrasing. Then I remembered that you can also get White Stilton.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:36 pm

Thomas wrote:
I've been known to grab a warm loaf of bread, some Stilton, a few nuts, and a Port for dinner! Then, Port for the dessert ;)

Cool. 8)

All good ideas...well, maybe not the cigar. As I told my friend after reading most of these posts, you really can't go wrong with either Stilton or good chocolate, although there seem to be more votes for cheese.

Jeff - I would love the recipe for the blue cheese crackers.
Diane
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:38 pm

My first choice would be by itself. My second choice would be with almonds. My third choice might be a small piece of stilton and my absolute last choice would be with chocolate. Like a great Sauterne, it is the dessert.
Walt
Next