The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Hidden Valley Pinotage (Stellenbosch)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2006 Hidden Valley Pinotage (Stellenbosch)

by Paul B. » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:26 am

My beloved Pinotage is always a joy to behold - especially when it's not made in an internationalist, politically-correct style (i.e. devoid of its edges).

14.5% alc./vol.; $17.95 at Vintages. Solid, high-quality natural cork closure.

Clear, medium ruby-garnet colour. Wonderful varietal nose comprising what I feel is the best that SA Pinotage has to offer: elegant wild strawberry, banana, leather and coal (though the "paintbox"-type esters are missing in this one). I could just swirl and smell this wine on and on ... Firm acidity on entry with a good amount of grip and lots of alcoholic heat - a bit too much for me. (At 14.5%, it's a bit of a bruiser; I really preferred it when Pinotage was in the 12-13% bracket; but with modernist winemaking styles taking the lead that style seems to have fallen out of practice.) The aromas are all Pinotage, but the palate is somewhat tame and short; it's a solidly well structured wine but the finish isn't especially long. No bitterness (I would have loved some).

Still, it's definitely one of the better Pinotages we've seen at Vintages this year; a few of the more recent ones did not speak to me at all, having been completely internationalized and stripped of the cherished nuances of old.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2006 Hidden Valley Pinotage (Stellenbosch)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:43 am

I really have to try Pinotage again, maybe the "paintbox" nuances will work for me when I do some touching up in the horse barns!!
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:19 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I really have to try Pinotage again, maybe the "paintbox" nuances will work for me when I do some touching up in the horse barns!!

Thing is, Bob, you're not likely to find many of that kind of Pinotage anymore. It was a common style for many years, was well represented among the immediate post-apartheid exports to Canada (mid-to-late 1990s), but has been getting rarer all the time. Part of it is due to the unbelievable pressure placed on producers to either switch from Pinotage to other international varieties altogether (mainly Cab and Shiraz), or to "clean up" the wines by internationalizing them. Personally I'm in favour of all styles - the old style and the modern style - having shelf space. I don't like this war, if you will, that has been waged against the old style of Pinotage - especially since those leathery and astringent wines went so well with certain foods!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:41 pm

Bob

I know you,re joking but you shouldn.t get paintbox tones in Pinotage. The cause of that was discovered a few years ago to do with fermentation temperatures and all the Pinotage makers know how to avoid it.

Nothing to do with what Paul accuses of internationalising the variety, just to do with good winemaking.

Other tastes that have been attributed to Pinotage, e.g- 'burned rubber' is not specific to the variety but has affected a range of South Africa wines and an official study is underway to identify the cause.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:49 pm

Interestingly, Barkan(one of two wineries in Israel to release varietal Pinotage wines) released its 2006 Pinotage Reserve just yesterday. I've tasted that wine from barrel and advance tastings, last night not blind and today again but blind in my own tasting room and indeed a light but not at all offensive hint of burned rubber there.

Best
Rogov

P.S. to Peter May: No fear....two bottles will shortly be winging their way to you.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:59 pm

Peter May wrote:Other tastes that have been attributed to Pinotage, e.g- 'burned rubber' is not specific to the variety but has affected a range of South Africa wines and an official study is underway to identify the cause.

Oh dear ... I just fear that it will result in totally sanitized, predictable wines. Heck - I enjoy the distinctive character of SA reds that display that flavour (the coal/mineral thing - which is probably what others call "burnt rubber" - something I don't pick up very often in the wines).

I just see it as more internationalization, not simply an issue of good or bad winemaking ... though I don't doubt that in some cases there may have been bad winemaking.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:06 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:'ve tasted that wine from barrel and advance tastings, last night not blind and today again but blind in my own tasting room and indeed a light but not at all offensive hint of burned rubber there.

Thank you :D

As I mentioned to Peter, I happen to like that aspect of Pinotage (and of many SA reds - specifically the leather/iron/coal thing) and wish that, figuratively, space were made on shelves to allow both styles: the high-ripeness, primary-fruit-defined wines (what I call the internationalized style) and the older, lower-alcohol, astringent, more "difficult" styles. I came to discover SA reds based on the latter, and frankly, the more examples I find of the former, the less SA wine I am compelled to seek out because it all ends up tasting like everything else, from wherever.