The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What can you tell me about Petite Arvine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

What can you tell me about Petite Arvine?

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:11 pm

My brother told me he had a present waiting for me at local wine shop (Rochambeau), I stopped by to get it today. A copy of Neal Rosenthal's "Reflections of a Wine Merchant" and a bottle of a Rosenthal wine. Wine is the 2007 Cave Caloz "La Mouziere" Petite Arvine, Valais AC. Also says Les Coteaux de Sierre, is that a subappellation?
I'm pretty sure that Petite Arvine is the grape, it's been discussed here, but I don't really have a clue as to what to expect. My Swiss wine experience is pretty much all Fendant/Chasselas. I'm just looking to have a clue for pairing.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: What can you tell me about Petite Arvine?

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:16 pm

Dale, Hi...

The Coteaux de Sierre is indeed a sub-appellation within the Valais, in fact having its own AOC as part of the Venthone region and, as memory serves, on the right banks of the Rhone.

As to Petite Arvine, a white grape grown only in two areas that I know of – Italy's Valle d'Aoesta and the Valais. Some historians feel that this grape was originally indigenous to ancient Israel and was brought to the Valais by the Romans who occupied both areas at the time.

I have tasted several of the Valais wines made from Petite Arvine (also known by the way simply as Arvine) and found them somewhere in profile between a Chardonnay and a Gewurztraminer – that is to say combining an interesting and often appealing complex of aromas and flavors, those including summer fruits, citrus and Oriental spices and not infrequently a hint of litchis coming in on the finish. Most of the Valais wines are either unoaked or very lightly oaked (2 – 3 months in 2 yr old barrels).

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:14 am

To add to what Daniel says, here is a link to a site about the wines from Valais, Switzerland- http://www.lesvinsduvalais.ch/fr/cepage ... Content=82 - which seems to be available in French and German only. A pity because it gives a lot of information about the diversity and originality of the Valaisan wine scene. Clearly the Valaisans are only interested in the Swiss domestic market.

Personally I find Petite Arvine something of a bridge between Northern and Mediterranean styles. There is a generosity and herbal side which makes it a possible partner for Mediterranean and slightly spicy food as well as bright acidity and minerality which means that it is not out of place with simpler fish dishes. There are both dry and sweet versions and often no indication of which on the label. Alcohol can be quite high; Denis Mercier's 2005 of which I still have two bottles claims 14.5%. (Incidentally, although Mercier is located at Sierre, the wine is labelled "AOC Valais" with no addition of "Coteaux de Sierre".) I have not noticed the Gewurztraminer analogy myself but next time I open a Petite Arvine I will look for it.

A search on "Petite Arvine" here shows WTNs from Keith M, Peter Ruhrberg and me and maybe others.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:20 pm

A quick summary:

It's good. Drink it. Don't hold it.
no avatar
User

Cliff Rosenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:06 pm

New York City

by Cliff Rosenberg » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:18 pm

Mark S wrote:A quick summary:

It's good. Drink it. Don't hold it.

Sounds like good advice, from my limited experience. Grosjean, another Rosenthal producer, makes a lovely version.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks all. Wasn't planning on holding (cellaring a wine I have no clue about would seem weird to me!), Tim's post gives me a couple pairing possibilities.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:53 pm

This might be of interest for those who speak French!

http://www.rapazfreres.ch/Cepages/cep_arvine.htm
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:04 pm

It's grown in the Val d'Aosta, too; Les Cretes makes a very good one.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Wink Lorch

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 pm

London/France

by Wink Lorch » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:01 am

For completeness sake, I should say that there is some in Savoie - more specifically in the cru of Ayze in Haute Savoie ... but please don't tell any of the official bodies as it's not supposed to be there. Adds a 'je ne sais quoi' to the blend dominated by the local Gringet extremely well!

And, yes, I love Valais Petite Arvine, but it reminds me more of Viognier than Gewurztraminer.
Wink Lorch - Wine writer, editor and educator
http://winetravelmedia.com and http://jurawine.co.uk
Also http://www.winetravelguides.com
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:55 am

Wink Lorch wrote:
And, yes, I love Valais Petite Arvine, but it reminds me more of Viognier than Gewurztraminer.

Perhaps, but I find the dry versions of Arvine much crisper and more suitable for seafood than Viognier which I always find difficult to pair with food.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:57 pm

With shrimp and leeks over orzo, the 2007 Cave Caloz "La Mouziere" Petite Arvine (Valais AC/Les Coteaux de Sierre). On opening, I thought the nose reminded me of a Chardonnay, with ripe apple and pear fruit and a touch of flint. But after tasting and re-sniffing, I have no clue where that came from! This is a fairly full bodied, higher acid, dry wine that reminds me a bit of an Alsace Riesling. But there's an herby/nutty note that reminds me more of an Italian white, a la Falanghina. An interesting wine, I enjoy over a couple nights, but a local $50 price tag means I wouldn't buy for myself. B