The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 03 Muller-Catoir Haardter Mandelring Scheurebe Spatlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: 03 Muller-Catoir Haardter Mandelring Scheurebe Spatlese

by Salil » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:14 pm

A perfect wine to sit down with after a ridiculously long, exhausting day. Incredibly fun and forward, plenty of complexity to explore over some time - and didn't wreck my wallet either at $20. Light yellow in colour. Fantastic nose with lots of pink grapefruit, pineapple and mango flavours over spicy notes. Even better on the palate, where it's rich and full bodied with a plush mouthfeel, showing ripe tropical fruits, sage, spices and some faint grassy notes. Slightly sweet with low acidity, but well balanced with a long creamy finish.

Only the second Scheu I've tried (the first being a 07 Geil Kabinett that blew me away) - I'm liking these more and more.
no avatar
User

Richard M

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:55 am

Speyer, Palatinate, Germany

Re: WTN: 03 Muller-Catoir Haardter Mandelring Scheurebe Spatlese

by Richard M » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:06 am

Müller-Catoir is one of the best winerys in Pfalz/ Palatinate, being member of the VDP and for 20 US$ it was an extreme fair price for a 2003 wine, the price gets even better when I have a look at some statistics about the quality ranges, I would recommend to buy some more :wink:

Good Scheurebe wine is hard to find even in germany, sitting about 25km from Haardt Image
Haardter Mandelring (literally translated almond ring) is the area around this place, about 38 hectares, on the edge of the palatinate forest located on a light slope, btw Haardt is part of Neustadt an der Weinstrasse (Neustadt at the German Wine Route)
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:30 am

Salil, Nice to hear from a Scheurebe fan. We drink ours very young and love 'em at both Spat and Kab levels. They're a real treat around here; one doesn't see many offered in the SoCal market, save for M-C and Pfeffingen.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:05 pm

Thanks for the lovely photo Richard.
But I always imagined there must be grapefruit trees there.:)
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:52 pm

Based on the legendary 1998 version of this same wine I would have expected mango trees.
Decisions are made by those who show up