The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: More pairings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: More pairings

by Florida Jim » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:41 pm

1999 Nigl, Sauvignon Blanc:
Good wine with depth and character but not my style; too much of that cat pee/grassy/perm solution element. The goat cheese with crackers helped but not enough.

2000 Thomas, Pinot Noir:
Diane made a mushroom, chicken and vegetable concoction that went beautifully with this wine; its nose is blackberry and cola; in the mouth it has strong flavors but light weight and easy textures – a tenuous but attractive balance – it cuts the food with its acidity and flavors but never intrudes or overwhelms. 13% alcohol, thankfully. When I think of the domestic producers of pinot noir that I consider in tune with their land and meticulous about their process, John Thomas leads the list. A terrific wine that has years to peak but shows very well today.

1995 Montus, Madiran Cuvée Prestige:
Smells like new tires and cherries; its all fruit and earth in the mouth with good grip and plenty of concentration and heft; a somewhat drying but very long finish. Expecting an avalanche of tannin, instead I got a masculine, thoroughly enjoyable bottle with pretty good balance and complexity. Not something I want a lot of but twice the wine with pasta and red sauce.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars