The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN /Wine Advisor: When cork alternatives go bad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN /Wine Advisor: When cork alternatives go bad

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:49 am

I wrote this early but won't Email it to subscribers until midday, so if any of you notice any bad typos or brainos, please pass 'em along and I can fix this beta version ... ;)

When cork alternatives go bad

Just about every wine enthusiast from beginner to advanced "wine geek" knows about the cork wars by now. The past decade has seen a remarkable rebellion against the long-established natural cork in favor of alternative closures that range from high-tech treated corks to plastic plugs to sturdy metal screw caps to such offbeat options as plastic "Zork" stoppers that unwind, or apothecary-style glass stoppers that take us back to the 16th century.

All of this activity can be traced back to a simple reality: While natural cork has been in general use as a wine stopper for more than 200 years, and a sound cork boasts certain natural advantages for wine cellaring, a small but non-trivial percentage of natural corks can ruin wine by tainting it with a chemical reaction between the wine and a natural fungus that occurs in cork.

Most of the alternative-closure activity has focused on two formats: The screw cap, particularly a heavy-duty brand called Stelvin; and synthetic stoppers that resemble corks in shape and size but are made of plastic.

Screw caps, initially abhorred because they evoked the cheap, rotgut wines that had long been packaged with a lightweight, simple version, have been gaining ground strongly in recent years. Particularly Down Under, it is becoming hard to find a white wine with any other closure, and the Stelvin is making strong inroads among reds.

Even in the more wine-conservative U.S. and Europe, screwcaps are becoming more and more common - and wine-savvy consumers are learning to embrace them, especially as lingering concerns about long-term aging begin to fade and producers master minor alterations in the bottling process.

But the story on synthetics, sadly, doesn't have such a happy ending. Quickly embraced by many in the industry because they're shaped like corks and can be made to look a bit like corks (albeit sometimes in wild and wacky colors), and can usually be inserted by existing bottling lines and removed - sometimes with difficulty - with a standard corkscrew.

Unfortunately, while solving the problem of cork taint, synthetics soon showed problems all their own. Despite engineering efforts to fashion them with physical characteristics as close to natural cork as possible, growing experience suggests that they're not suitable for wines destined for anything more than short-term drinking.

In my experience, wines closed with either type of synthetic - solid plastic plug or two-component type with slick outer sleeve and foamy interior - are risky investments for keeping more than a year or two. It would take all my fingers and toes and more to count the synthetic-stoppered wines that I've found "tired" and marginally oxidized only three or four years after the vintage.

The latest offender, opened just the other night, was an Italian red from from Basilicata, the "instep" of the Italian "boot." I had tasted Tenuta le Querce 2000 "Il Viola" Aglianico del Vulture twice before, on April 18, 2004 and again on May 7, 2005 (at which point its retail price had jumped up three bucks to $18.99). Both times the wine showed lots of ripe dark fruit - plums, blackberries and blueberries - with licorice and oak and so much tannin that it clearly needed cellar time.

Fair enough.

I put away one more bottle, forgot it for a few years, until the other day, when I was rooting around in the same dusty corner that revealed the 1999 Julienas Cru Beaujolais featured in Monday's edition, I found the last bottle.

Out came the red plastic cork and ... meh. The tannins are still going strong, but the fruit is gone entirely, replaced by an odd aroma that smelled like mud puddles in red clay to me. My wife thought it smelled like plastic and spit it out, fearing that some petrochemical gunk had leached into the wine. Note well that I don't think this is likely. But the wine was dead on arrival, and I'm satisfied that the synthetic plug is to blame.

It's too bad when a new technology intended to solve a problem proves to have new problems of its own, but that, I suppose, is the price of progress. Bring on the screw cap, as far as I'm concerned!

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN /Wine Advisor: When cork alternatives go bad

by Tim York » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:49 am

Unfortunately over here plastic stoppers seem to be better accepted by the market than screwcaps. I don't think that has anything to do with perceived keeping qualities; rather plastic looks and sounds on extraction more like the "real thing". However, Jean Rijckaert, a serious producer, does claim that his Mâconnais and Jura wines going back to 2001 have aged well under plastic.

I have asked several French and Italian producers and Belgian merchants about this and they all say that it would commercial suicide to use screwcaps for the European market. Howver, a few do bottle for export under screwcap. I believe that Austria is an exception here with several good producers using screwcaps with satisfactory market acceptance locally; certainly the only European wine I have under screwcap is an Austrian GV.

I don't think that mentalities will change until an acknowledged quality leader starts using screwcaps and not just for non-European markets. I have heard Olivier Humbrecht speaking well of screwcaps so It is a pity that as far as I know he has not bottled any of his production this way; his estate is one whose influence could make a difference.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:38 pm

Robin,
A minor quibble: tainting glass stoppers as 16th C apothecary technology does them a disservice. Ground glass stoppers are still the "industry standard" in chemistry for tight seals, and most Port decanters still employ glass stoppers for an effective seal. In many ways, glass stoppers such as Alcoa's Vino-lok are 21st C technology.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:34 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:A minor quibble: tainting glass stoppers as 16th C apothecary technology does them a disservice. Ground glass stoppers are still the "industry standard" in chemistry for tight seals, and most Port decanters still employ glass stoppers for an effective seal. In many ways, glass stoppers such as Alcoa's Vino-lok are 21st C technology.

"Taint" is in the eye of the beholder, Mark. Actually I meant it admiringly: Apothecary stoppers have been around a couple of hundred years longer than cork (for wine bottles). I meant, and stated it, as value-neutral, but now that you mention it I see that one might infer a pejorative. None such was intended.
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:00 pm

Twice last week, when I opened some wine, I had a lot of difficulty removing the plastic "cork". The first time I was annoyed. I hadn't run into that problem before. It took a lot of work, but it finally came out. The second time, same week, totally different wine, I was teetering on anger. If they are going to use plastic, at least make it pull-outable. Good grief! Don't tease a girl by making it difficult for her to get to her wine!

I'll take screw-caps anyday.
Patti
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:11 pm

Another Vinolok quibble. Vinolok is a new technology in the sense that the seal is not made by the glass at all - but by the plastic that sits between the glass stopper and the bottle.

BTW I opened a German 2001 Rosé a few weeks ago. I was not holding out much hopes for such a wine, and my heart sank when I saw it had a synthetic cork. However, despite the fact that the cork has lost all its elasticity it had kept the wine in amazingly good shape, at it was surprisinly enjoyable.
Last edited by Steve Slatcher on Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Technical questions about synthetics ...

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:12 pm

I've had two really interesting questions from readers, and I'm hoping some of the science types (Mark? Stuart?) can help answer.

1. Are synthetics (either style) recyclable? I've never seen one with the plastics recycling symbol or number imprinted, so I'm guessing not.

2. Do they contain Bisphenol A (BPA)? This chemical in plastics and can liners seems to be of increasing concern to the extent that sports water bottles are now being imprinted with "BPA and phthate free."

The guy who asked the second question cited a Web source,
http://www.ewg.org/node/27163
but I can't evaluate its logic vs hysteria level.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:44 pm

Tim York wrote:Unfortunately over here plastic stoppers seem to be better accepted by the market than screwcaps. I don't think that has anything to do with perceived keeping qualities; rather plastic looks and sounds on extraction more like the "real thing". However, Jean Rijckaert, a serious producer, does claim that his Mâconnais and Jura wines going back to 2001 have aged well under plastic.

I don't believe that the stopper manufacturers themselves suggest aging wines under these things for more than 18 months.

I just received my first Italian wine under screwcap, a dry Moscato from the South Tyrol. I can't wait for more.

Robin, I can't believe a producer would bottle an obviously ageworthy red like Aglianico del Vulture under this closure.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:58 pm

When I read the title of this Wine Advisor all I can think of is:
FarSide.jpeg

"When Clowns Go Bad".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:
I just received my first Italian wine under screwcap, a dry Moscato from the South Tyrol. I can't wait for more.

Didn't I read somewhere that a certain Italian DOC was refusing the appellation to wines bottled under screwcap?

I wonder if screwcap in South Tyrol could be Austrian influence.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:15 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:I don't believe that the stopper manufacturers themselves suggest aging wines under these things for more than 18 months.

How will they enforce this on retailers who'll keep a bottle on the shelves until it sells?

Robin, I can't believe a producer would bottle an obviously ageworthy red like Aglianico del Vulture under this closure.

As Dave Barry was wont to say, "I am not making this up." However, do note that this was the 2000 vintage, and Tenuta le Querce was not loath to use the red plug. To its credit, the winery was likely looking for a solution to cork taint. The moral to this lesson, if there is one, doesn't have to do with greed but unintended consequences.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:23 pm

Robin,

No, they can't enforce it, I was just suggesting it was a bad idea to start with. I believe you, but it wasn't the best decision with anything but basic plonk, and that appellation is hardly plonky.

And yes, some wineries have tried all sorts of alternatives; I have a producer of Vermentino di Gallura who had problems with cork, were told that Altec was the perfect solution, but was in fact a disaster; then tried those plastic stoppers, which meant all of the wine started browning after 18 months; then the appellation was elevated to DOCG and the rules require bark. Arrgggh.
Last edited by Oliver McCrum on Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:29 pm

Tim York wrote:
Oliver McCrum wrote:

Didn't I read somewhere that a certain Italian DOC was refusing the appellation to wines bottled under screwcap?

I wonder if screwcap in South Tyrol could be Austrian influence.

Tim,

Could well be Austrian influence, they speak German after all and do visit Austrian producers. Italy is very behind in this respect.

At least some DOC/G rules require bark cork. I don't know how many.

I am thinking of having my estate-bottled Prosecco di Valdobbiadene bottled under crown cap, which is the equivalent to screwcap for sparkling wines, and that would have to be downgraded in appellation to use a non-bark stopper. (I may do it anyway.) And with sparkling wines there are problems other than cork taint: I had to throw away 400 cases of Prosecco a few years ago because of a batch of 'woody' corks that didn't seal properly. What a waste.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Technical questions about synthetics ...

by Mark Lipton » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I've had two really interesting questions from readers, and I'm hoping some of the science types (Mark? Stuart?) can help answer.

Stuart, obviously, could answer this authoritatively, but I'll take a poke.

1. Are synthetics (either style) recyclable? I've never seen one with the plastics recycling symbol or number imprinted, so I'm guessing not.

None are recyclable that I know of. Neocork is an extruded copolymer, so would have to be mechanically separated to be recycled. Supreme Corq is a styrene block copolymer, so also isn't a single species and can't easily be recycled.

2. Do they contain Bisphenol A (BPA)? This chemical in plastics and can liners seems to be of increasing concern to the extent that sports water bottles are now being imprinted with "BPA and phthate free."

No, the polymers are usually "alpha olefin" polymers, and AFAIK they don't use BPA as either a monomer or as a plasticizer.

The guy who asked the second question cited a Web source,
http://www.ewg.org/node/27163
but I can't evaluate its logic vs hysteria level.

That page looks relatively sober to me and nothing on it strikes me as outright false. They may be overstating the health risks of BPA, but that's a debatable point until better data exists to evaluate the risks.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:32 pm

Patti L wrote:Twice last week, when I opened some wine, I had a lot of difficulty removing the plastic "cork". The first time I was annoyed. I hadn't run into that problem before. It took a lot of work, but it finally came out. The second time, same week, totally different wine, I was teetering on anger. If they are going to use plastic, at least make it pull-outable. Good grief! Don't tease a girl by making it difficult for her to get to her wine!

I quite agree; the hard plastic ones are very hard to remove and almost impossible to put back.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:53 pm

Synthetics are made in a wide range of styles and materials. Some are recyclable, some aren't. Neocork and Nomacorc are, as far as I know, recyclable as #4 (LDPE) because the copolymer content is quite low. Supremecorq is #7.

Oxygen ingress is also all over the map; the cheapie molded Italian jobs are horrible. Neocorks aren't that great (not my fault, they wouldn't let me introduce a vastly improved version), Nomacorcs are better in that respect. I've heard mixed things about NuKork.

I still wouldn't age wines for more than 2-3 years with either a synthetic or a screwcap. Contrary to the drooling press and the ax-grinding Aussie and Kiwi wine industry, screwcaps are far from perfect; there's a lot of variation in the seal quality from bottle to bottle, and a lot of serious people like Paul White and Alan Limmer have found alarming stuff about both reduction and the effect of treatments (most notably copper) used to prevent it. Personally, I avoid screwcaps wherever possible.

There's no BPA in any of the major brands of synthetics.

disclaimer: I have worked in that industry, but have no financial or business ties to it at present.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:16 pm

Tim York wrote:Didn't I read somewhere that a certain Italian DOC was refusing the appellation to wines bottled under screwcap

Vallpolicella Classico was the one that recently hit the (wine) headlines when Allegrini chose to forgo the "Classico" tag and use screwcap.
no avatar
User

Ted Judd

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:49 pm

Idaho

by Ted Judd » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:16 pm

My personal experiences with synthetic stoppers have been bad. A few of us opened recently a bottle of one of the first wines using a non-cork stopper. The plug had started to shrink and was no longer tight, coming away from the neck of the bottle. The wine was oxidized. Some of the less expensive plastic ones are actually hollow and lose their air pressure over time and start to come loose.

There is also the other category of alternative corks which includes composite and one-plus-one "cork" stoppers. Recently opened a Pinot that had been bottled using a one-plus-one and when I pulled it out, the bottom cap came off the length of cork and fell into the wine. The top cap worked loose on my corkscrew and fell apart. I guess that over time they came unglued.

My experience with composites is better but under review. When you grind up cork, sterilize it, then glue it back together you make an unnaturally tight stopper which does not permit any air to pass through reducing the possibility of aging. We will see.

Ted
no avatar
User

Sunny Brown

Rank

Just got here

Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:20 pm

by Sunny Brown » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:37 am

I have had many a winemaker tell me that synthetics are the equivalent of wine homicide. Whether it is because of too little oxygen transfer (reduction), too much (oxidation) or not being able to get the cork out, there is always some complaint. Here is the biggest and scariest though: This is a petroleum based product, and oddly enough unlike many plastics it has a shelf life. Pam Starr once told me that almost every synthetic out there was a "2 to 4" year cork. There were efforts from the industry to create longer lasting synthetics, but most had failed miserably.

"What happens after four years with a 2 to 4 year synthetic?" I asked in my naivete. "They begin to degrade." WOW! That is not what I want next to my precious and fragile wine. I think your wife was right with the plastic smell.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:29 am

Robin Garr wrote:Out came the red plastic cork and ... meh. The tannins are still going strong, but the fruit is gone entirely, replaced by an odd aroma that smelled like mud puddles in red clay to me. My wife thought it smelled like plastic and spit it out, fearing that some petrochemical gunk had leached into the wine.

I concur with your wife's observations. I can't say how many times I've pulled a plastic cork on a red to find the wine just dull and lifeless. The foamy synthetic corks, on the other hand, always leave a "vinyl-like" smell in the neck of the bottle, as far as I'm concerned.

No, I believe that screwcaps are definitely the way to go for the fine whites. With fine reds, I am generally quite happy with solid, high-quality natural cork.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:59 pm

"What happens after four years with a 2 to 4 year synthetic?" I asked in my naivete. "They begin to degrade."

Absolutely untrue, at least for any of the major brands (Nomacorc, Neocork, NuKork, Supremecorq). They are made from very, very nonreactive and stable plastics; they don't put any "gunk" into the wine of any sort. Now the question of wine aging is valid, but it has nothing to do with the synthetic deteriorating, it has to do with SO2 loss and/or oxygen ingress.

Again, disclaimer: I worked for over a decade in that industry and invented the coextruded wine cork (which dominates that market), but no longer have any business relationship or financial interest in any cork or closure company.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:06 pm

Stuart,

I have heard of the reductiveness problem with screwcaps many times, but I've never actually had a capped wine with that problem. (Not to mention having had many wines that were reductive under cork...)
Last edited by Oliver McCrum on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:58 pm

It depends on how sensitive to reduction you are, how the wine was processed, how long it's been in bottle, and whether or not it had copper treatments. According to Professor Limmer, copper treatment is universal in some areas, and both he and Dr. White feel strongly that the copper treatment, while effective against reduction, strongly correlates with the stripping of many of the more subtle elements that give a fine wine its distinctive terroir. I haven't had their extensive tasting experience with screwcapped wines, but I have run into bottles that have premature oxidation and others that have distinct reductive aromas. I am not convinced about the consistency of wine development, but for $5 drink-em-fast where one doesn't search for a vineyard signature, it certainly is convenient.