The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New Columnist in the Washington Post

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

New Columnist in the Washington Post

by James Roscoe » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:31 am

I woke up this morning to a new wine columnist in the Washington Post. The name rang a bell and it turns out he used to post some columns on the WLP. If you are interested here is the link. Let me know what you think.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: New Columnist in the Washington Post

by Brian K Miller » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:48 am

Seems pretty down to earth and well-spoken (err...well written) :mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:16 pm

I like the article. If Sue Courtney chimes in she can maybe suggest other "mineral" notes such as flint and steel and chalk.+
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:34 pm

Dave seems pretty receptive to email, so I think he would be interested in anyone with a contrary or expanded viewpoint.

I really appreciate some decent wine writing in our local rag.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:44 pm

James – I’m so happy you brought this up. I could not be more pleased with this switch. I may just start looking forward to the Wednesday Food Section again…it’s been way too long. As a matter of fact, I going to call the Post and write them and let them know what a positive change this is. I got zero out of all those he said/she said articles.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:James – I’m so happy you brought this up. I could not be more pleased with this switch. I may just start looking forward to the Wednesday Food Section again…it’s been way too long. As a matter of fact, I going to call the Post and write them and let them know what a positive change this is. I got zero out of all those he said/she said articles.

They were bad, weren't they Jon?

If today's article is any indication of the quality of writing we will get, I am extremely pleased.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:49 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I woke up this morning to a new wine columnist in the Washington Post. The name rang a bell and it turns out he used to post some columns on the WLP. If you are interested here is the link. Let me know what you think.

Brilliant article - at last someone who understands..... someone who is prepared to avoid the cliche and find out what it really means.

JC (NC) wrote:I like the article. If Sue Courtney chimes in she can maybe suggest other "mineral" notes such as flint and steel and chalk.+

It really depends on the wine. I know immediately which wines will be described as mineral by commentators but I also jokingly now use mineral in conversation for any wine reeking of sulphides."Oh, a minerally wine," I will say.

I quite like steely in racy acid rieslings and chalky is a textural thing. There is also talc, I like saline and I sometimes use potter's clay as a descriptor- if you've ever thrown a pot or been in a pottery where pots are being thrown you will know what I mean.
no avatar
User

Ted Judd

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:49 pm

Idaho

by Ted Judd » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:51 pm

Dare I say: it is about time? Without offending stalwart fans?

My problem with National writers who review from afar is that they rarely visit the wine region, even more rarely meet the winemaker, and almost never experience the wine in the winery.

The other more salient issue is: the editor will not let the wine critic review a wine that does not have ubiquitous distribution.

Some the best wines made are produced by wineries that do not have national distribution, make less than millions of cases per year, and care deeply about the wines they craft.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:51 am

James Roscoe wrote:I really appreciate some decent wine writing in our local rag.

Indeed. I always thought Giliberti and Franz were pretty good even if I didn't always find my palate entirely in sync with theirs. Since they left (or were given the boot amid the Post's various rounds of cutbacks -- not sure what actually happened), it's been a wasteland. But I like what I've read of McIntyre. And as long as we're on the subject of newspaper wine-writing, thank God for Asimov.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:42 am

Bruce K wrote: And as long as we're on the subject of newspaper wine-writing, thank God for Asimov.

Yup...Asimov writes some good stuff from time to time. For my $$, the best wine columinists these days are JonBonne (SFChron)
and PatrickComisky (LATimes) and MikeDunne (SacBee). Read 'em every Wed, if they have something.
Tom
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Re: Yup...

by James Roscoe » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:43 pm

TomHill wrote:
Bruce K wrote: And as long as we're on the subject of newspaper wine-writing, thank God for Asimov.

Yup...Asimov writes some good stuff from time to time. For my $$, the best wine columinists these days are JonBonne (SFChron)
and PatrickComisky (LATimes) and MikeDunne (SacBee). Read 'em every Wed, if they have something.
Tom

Tom, Bruce and I were talking about "real" newspapers. Not some west coast gossip rags. :mrgreen: