The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SFChron: US Tempranillo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

by TomHill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:19 pm

Nice article in today's SFChron by ChristinaKelly on the growth of Tempranillo in the USofA.
Tom

no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

Re: SFChron: US Tempranillo

by Victor de la Serna » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:55 am

Sorry, but I beg to differ. A 2,800 word article on tempranillo in which the word 'soil' does not appear even once! That says much about the difficulties of adapting tempranillo to the US: an ignorance of the basic rules.

Soil is crucial for high-quality tempranillo, in addition to climate. The variety has low acidity and needs specific conditions to avoid becomng flat and undistinguished: high but not overwhelming daytime temperatures during ripening, always cool nights throughout the summer, and limestone-rich soils. There is not a single great tempranillo in Spain that isn't grown on limestone or clay-limestone. On schist, for instance, it loses most of its finesse (that's why tinta roriz is only part of blends most of the time in the Portuguese Douro, and why tempranillo has never fared well in Priorat).

A number of American producers have asked me about planting tempranillo, and I immediately ask them about the composition of their soils. Until now not one had limestone. Maybe I should advise Josh Jensen to plan some tempranillo at Calera...
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:43 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote:Sorry, but I beg to differ. A 2,800 word article on tempranillo in which the word 'soil' does not appear even once! That says much about the difficulties of adapting tempranillo to the US: an ignorance of the basic rules.

Soil is crucial for high-quality tempranillo, in addition to climate. The variety has low acidity and needs specific conditions to avoid becomng flat and undistinguished: high but not overwhelming daytime temperatures during ripening, always cool nights throughout the summer, and limestone-rich soils. There is not a single great tempranillo in Spain that isn't grown on limestone or clay-limestone. On schist, for instance, it loses most of its finesse (that's why tinta roriz is only part of blends most of the time in the Portuguese Douro, and why tempranillo has never fared well in Priorat).

A number of American producers have asked me about planting tempranillo, and I immediately ask them about the composition of their soils. Until now not one had limestone. Maybe I should advise Josh Jensen to plan some tempranillo at Calera...

Victor,
Like the sand worms of Dune, you do rear your head when least expected. And when you do, you often are a force to be reckoned with. Good to see you Sir!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:33 am

Good to see you too, Bob! (Don't know about the sandworm analogy, though... :? )
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:38 am

You control the spice Victor. (did the worms use toasted barrels?)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:04 am

I recently had a Tempranillo Rosé made by Penelope Gadd-Coster of Coral Mustang with starters at a dinner in San Francisco and it was delicious. It went down every bit as smoothly and easily as Steve's Bone-Jolly Gamay rosé. Another perfect summer sipper. I have some of her Tempranillo on order and I can't wait to try it.

Disclosure: I am an online acquaintance of Penny's, though I've never met her and have no financial interest in her wines.
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:06 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:(did the worms use toasted barrels?)

I have no idea. Myself, I certainly don't.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:22 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote:A number of American producers have asked me about planting tempranillo, and I immediately ask them about the composition of their soils. Until now not one had limestone. Maybe I should advise Josh Jensen to plan some tempranillo at Calera...

It's true that soil isn't mentioned in the article but I'd just point out that two of the California wines mentioned come from Paso Robles and Santa Ynez Valley, where limestone soils (or at least limestone soil components) are fairly common. Depending on exact location, the combination of warm days and cool nights also happens in those areas.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yes&No....

by TomHill » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:57 pm

Mark Willstatter wrote:It's true that soil isn't mentioned in the article but I'd just point out that two of the California wines mentioned come from Paso Robles and Santa Ynez Valley, where limestone soils (or at least limestone soil components) are fairly common. Depending on exact location, the combination of warm days and cool nights also happens in those areas.

Mark,
What you say is true, in general, about a strong limestone component in both PasoRobles and SantaYnezVlly. The Castoro comes from, I would guess, from their vnyds on the EastSide Paso, where the soil is pretty sandy and not much limestone, which is found more up in the SantaLuciaMtns/Westside. I'm not sure exactly where Louisa gets her Tempranillo, but I seem to recall it more towards the Eastern SantaYnez, where limestone is not such an influence as it is out towards the SantaRitaHills, unless it's up on the ridgetop vnyds like Stolpman or PurisimaMtn. But I think it's down on the flats.
I believe Bob & Louisa have Tempranillo in their new vnyd in the EdnaVlly, right across from Alban, and has a strong limestone influence.
In consideration of Victor's insistence that the soil be limestone for Tempranillo to succeed, I would think that the rootstock might have some influence and that maybe you could tweak the rootstock choice for other types of soils...but I don't know for sure.
Tom
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Madrid, Spain

Re: Yes&No....

by Victor de la Serna » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:51 am

TomHill wrote: In consideration of Victor's insistence that the soil be limestone for Tempranillo to succeed, I would think that the rootstock might have some influence and that maybe you could tweak the rootstock choice for other types of soils...but I don't know for sure.

Rootstock only assures the plant's well-being on a specific type of soil, Tom - not that it will produce high-quality wine.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:03 am

Having tasted Saint Amant wines (one of the producers briefly mentioned as a pioneer), maybe Victor's (Mua d'hib!) post explains why the wine was so awful. :mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach