The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Amys, Too Much Wine, Great Fun

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Two Amys, Too Much Wine, Great Fun

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:32 pm

The VLM came to DC so we rounded up a few people and of course more than a few wines.

I didn't take extensive notes, but my favorites were (in no particular order):

1999 Alzinger Loibner Loibenberg Riesling Smaragd - so fine, so precise, made my 2000 Hirtzberger Singerriedel Riesling Smaragd look clumsy.

2000 Clos Rougeard Saumur-Champigny Les Poyeaux - such a delightful expression of drinkable Loire cabernet franc. Not a blockbuster and not the most powerful or complex vintage. But my kind of seductive comfort wine.

1993 Maurice Ecard Savigny Les Beaunes Les Narbantons - plenty of fruit, deliciously firm and drinkable at the same time, lovely comfortable wine that made us all appreciate what Burgundy has to offer.

2005 Grosjean Val d'Aosta Fumin Vigne Merletta - trying to put this in perspective with wines that I am more familiar with, I thought it had supple bright similarities to gamay. But Bob disputed that as he dislikes gamay and likes this. Whatever the analogy, I found this great supple yet structured fun.

2006 Houillon Arbois Pupillin Poulsard - fragrant poulsard drinking in a slightly full frame. I appreciated the slight chill on this wine to keep the funk at bay, but Msr. Jonathan Southern Rhone was encouraging the funk development proving that this wine has much to offer many people.

I was shocked that everyone enjoyed the 2003 Cotar Teran because to me it was a bruising beast pounding my palate and brain.

There was also a dark yet fresh and fun 2007 Nusserhof Lagrein Kretzer Rosé, a somewhat boring 2001 Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Rancia Riserva and 1997 Manzone Barolo Bricat Le Gramolere, a frighteningly dark and tannic 1995 Arnaldo Caprai Sagrantino di Montefalco, an even more frighteningly dark and tannic 1997 Antonelli Sangrantion di Montefalco Passito, other dessert wines included a full-on NV Tenuta Vecellina Regio Rosso Passito and a ho-hum 1988 Chateau de Plaisance Coteaux du Layon Chaume.

Unfortunately we had a corked 2007 Nusserhof Blaterlé and 1996 Maume Gevrey-Chambertin Champeaux.

Food-wise, it was all very delicious, I enjoyed myself, and I had no complaints. However, if that is the best pizza DC has to offer, I guess it is true that DC is not a pizza town.
Last edited by Rahsaan on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: WTN: Two Amy's, Too Much Wine, Great Fun

by Florida Jim » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:37 pm

Rahsaan wrote:1999 Alzinger Loibner Loibenberg Riesling Smaragd - so fine, so precise, made my 2000 Hirtzberger Singerriedel Riesling Smaragd look clumsy.

I like both of these wines but the difference, as you note, is substantial. I think the Alzinger needs a good bit of time to show its best.
2006 Houillon Arbois Pupillin Poulsard - fragrant poulsard drinking in a slightly full frame. I appreciated the slight chill on this wine to keep the funk at bay, but Msr. Jonathan Southern Rhone was encouraging the funk development proving that this wine has much to offer many people.

Had this Wednesday night. Adore it. The slightly bigger style serves this producer well, I think, and even then, its not as big as Puffeney's.
. . . a frighteningly dark and tannic 1995 Arnaldo Caprai Sagrantino di Montefalco

Lordy, you should try the '95 25 Anni from these guys; 'take the enamel off your teeth.
Best, Jim
Last edited by Florida Jim on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 pm

by JeanF » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Sad, the corked blaterle. it is a damn good wine.
Last edited by JeanF on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.moselfinewines.com
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:40 pm

JeanF wrote:Sad, the Blaterle corked blaterle. it is a damn good wine.

Aha. Nice.

Someone at the table said they had it recently and it was decent but nothing special.

I haven't had it so I can't comment.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:45 pm

Florida Jim wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:1999 Alzinger Loibner Loibenberg Riesling Smaragd - so fine, so precise, made my 2000 Hirtzberger Singerriedel Riesling Smaragd look clumsy.

I like both of these wines...

So you're a fan of the 2000 Singerriedel? I liked it at first, but then for better or worse the Alzinger 'put it in perspective'. Do you think it has much of a future? I also bought the 2000 Honivogl GV Smaragd that I'm opening tonight, but based on last night's soft and slightly clumsy wine I was thinking that 2000 and Hirtzberger was not going to be a good combination.

2006 Houillon Arbois Pupillin Poulsard...The slightly bigger style serves this producer well, I think

Agreed. I liked the 2002 and the few other vintages I've had, but sometimes it can be just a touch too feather fragile. This was hardly clumsy but it did gain a little force to go with the delicate fragrance.

a frighteningly dark and tannic 1995 Arnaldo Caprai Sagrantino di Montefalco

Lordy, you should try the '95 25 Anni from these guys; 'take the enamel off your teeth.
Best, Jim

This was Nathan's contribution. I didn't know he drank much Italian wine so I was surprised to see it. I can see how it might have charms for the right food (like the anchovy starters we had) but the 93 Ecard and the 00 Poyeaux were singing much sweeter music to my palate last night and of course there was a lot to focus on.
no avatar
User

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 pm

by JeanF » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:06 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
JeanF wrote:Sad, the Blaterle corked blaterle. it is a damn good wine.

Someone at the table said they had it recently and it was decent but nothing special.

Someone is always bound to have a less good taste :)

More seriously, is it really a damn good wine - but you need to think of it in the trepidation of enjoying it in 5-8 years time.
www.moselfinewines.com
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Two Amys, Too Much Wine, Great Fun

by Brian K Miller » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:18 pm

Why can't I find Houillon in the Bay Area!!!!????? :evil:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Why can't I find Houillon in the Bay Area!!!!????? :evil:

Because all the stores know that you already have enough wine :wink:
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Rahsaan wrote:So you're a fan of the 2000 Singerriedel? I liked it at first, but then for better or worse the Alzinger 'put it in perspective'. Do you think it has much of a future? I also bought the 2000 Honivogl GV Smaragd that I'm opening tonight, but based on last night's soft and slightly clumsy wine I was thinking that 2000 and Hirtzberger was not going to be a good combination.

My apologies, I was thinking of the 2001 Singerriedel.
I haven't had the 2000 in quite awhile so haven't anything to add.
BTW, the 1999 Honivogl GV, Smaragd is god wine and I hear 2000 was better for GV than Riesling.
Best, Jim
Last edited by Florida Jim on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:22 pm

Thanks for notes, I'm pleased on note re the '93 Ecard Narbanton, I have a single. Thought I'd open it up vs the '93 Mongeard-Mugneret Narbantons at a blind tasting.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:24 pm

Florida Jim wrote:My apologies, I was thinking of the 2001 Singerriedel.
I haven't had the 2000 in quite awhile so haven't anything to add.
BTW, the 1999 Honivogl GV, Smaragd is god wine.
Best, Jim

Aha that makes sense.

Yes, from my limited experience I can see that 99 and 01 were more 'successful' vintages than 00.

Which also explains why these 00s (and not the 99s or 01s) were still available for me to purchase yesterday. But I'm not complaining..
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:28 pm

I hear 2000 was better for GV than Riesling.

That is good to hear. In a few hours I should be home and will find out for myself.

Dale Williams wrote:Thanks for notes, I'm pleased on note re the '93 Ecard Narbanton, I have a single. Thought I'd open it up vs the '93 Mongeard-Mugneret Narbantons at a blind tasting.

I don't think any of the other attendees will be posting here (Bob Semon, Jonathan Loesberg, Nathan, Christian Dezso, a couple of importers with Williams Corner) but if I remember correctly it was universally appreciated.

You should enjoy it.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:12 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I was shocked that everyone enjoyed the 2003 Cotar Teran because to me it was a bruising beast pounding my palate and brain.

Sorry to hear that. I have loved the few Čotars I've had - though the Teran I had was '06 so of course it can't compare. But what amazes me every time I visit Foxy Wine House in Helsinki, is that I love Čotar's Sauvignon Blanc 2003 even though both the year and grape are such that I have had very few enjoyable examples.

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Semon

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:43 pm

by Bob Semon » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Yes, the Narbantons was special. I think I didn't find the Cotar as bruising as you did, because I had it after the Caprai, which I think might have been the 25 anni. I thought the Fumin reminded me more or a Mondeuse by way of a Vespolina, maybe. I guess that doesn't make any sense. The evening was great fun, though.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:32 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Sorry to hear that. I have loved the few Čotars I've had - though the Teran I had was '06 so of course it can't compare.

There is a lot of positive noise on this producer so I suppose I should keep an open mind. Although I suspect the white wines might be more interesting to me than the red wines.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:34 pm

Bob Semon wrote:I thought the Fumin reminded me more or a Mondeuse by way of a Vespolina, maybe..

That is an interesting combo. I'll have to study up on my Vespolina and get back to you :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:27 am

2000 wasn't good for much of anything in Austria. There's too much fat (and some weird rot here and there) and no underlying structure. I've had bottles that were unappealing for any variety of reasons. It's bad enough that I liquidated all my 2000s to make room for other wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:18 am

David M. Bueker wrote:It's bad enough that I liquidated all my 2000s to make room for other wines.

And you found willing buyers?

I guess people/suckers like me :wink:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:37 am

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:It's bad enough that I liquidated all my 2000s to make room for other wines.

And you found willing buyers?

I guess people/suckers like me :wink:

Charity auction.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:55 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Charity auction.

Aha. Nice of you.

I should add that the 00 Honivogl was only $9.99 so I figured I couldn't go too wrong. The 00 Singerriedel was full price however.
Last edited by Rahsaan on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:26 am

David M. Bueker wrote:2000 wasn't good for much of anything in Austria. There's too much fat (and some weird rot here and there) and no underlying structure. I've had bottles that were unappealing for any variety of reasons. It's bad enough that I liquidated all my 2000s to make room for other wines.

I don't have an overall impression of 2000 in Austria, but I am happy to own a couple of '00 Rieslings, Nikolaihof Im Weingebirge Smaragd and Nigl Privat. Enjoyed both, thought they had a future.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:29 am

Perhaps you've got the exceptions that prove the rule, but I wouldn't count on it.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:54 am

I'm very hurt I wasn't invited! :(

Nice notes. Is the pizza there really that good? Other people from pizza towns like New York, Boston, and Philly are not so high on the Two Amys pizza as the rest of the world. I will have to reserve judgment. :roll:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:03 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Is the pizza there really that good?

I thought the food was very good (and very well priced). Apparently the pizzas themselves were not 'showing well' that night as I found the crust a bit fluffy and other people who had been there before agreed that the pizza was having an off night. That said, the toppings were intelligent, high quality, and well executed (especially the egg, roasted pepper, and grana padano) and the first course small plates were of a very high standard.

My only gripe was that if that is the top of the heap for pizza in DC it looks like slim pickins indeed. But I'll be happy to return.
Next