The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Zork closure

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: Zork closure

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 pm

I think by 'time to move on' he means 'OK, you're all right, I don't know what I was thinking.'
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:59 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
TimMc wrote:

I understand staistics and percentages and I know how to properly utilize them...it is part of my job, you see. :wink:

Amazingly enough it has been part of my job for 16 years. What you are doing is classic statistics marketing. I'm done here.

It's been part of my job for 25 years, my friend.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:02 pm

The dead horse continues to be beat. Tim, you just don't do not know when to give up. You would make General Custer proud, or is that Col. Mustard in the library with the pipe.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:04 pm

James Roscoe wrote:The dead horse continues to be beat. Tim, you just don't do not know when to give up. You would make General Custer proud, or is that Col. Mustard in the library with the pipe.

LOL

I gave up on the enclosure thing...not on the statistics thing.

I prefer to think General Patton would be proudest. :wink:
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:32 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Let's move along to making fun of Joe P. in his masterful post.

Well, okay then. However, I'm reserving the right to make fun of anyone who posts a favorable tasting note on any Sancerre. :)
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:05 pm

"Let's move along to making fun of Joe P. in his masterful post. "

James, Link please.

Thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:41 pm

Bob Ross wrote:"Let's move along to making fun of Joe P. in his masterful post. "

James, Link please.

Thanks, Bob

It's the pig post above or below. Just read the damn thing. It's hilarious!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:51 pm

Will do. Thanks James. Bob
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:58 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
TimMc wrote:

I understand staistics and percentages and I know how to properly utilize them...it is part of my job, you see. :wink:

Amazingly enough it has been part of my job for 16 years. What you are doing is classic statistics marketing. I'm done here.

The margin of error has not been mentioned here yet. :) From what I recall of Statistics, the MoE of 1 in 100 will be much larger than that for 100 in 10,000. I failed Stat Maths II, so what do I know!

But this also has nothing to do with Zorks.

So getting back On Topic, to answer somones question about what is a Zork constructed of:

Materials
ZORK is made of three parts. The primary functions of the three components are:

Cap
The polyethylene cap provides a tamper evident clamp that locks the closure onto the CETIE band of a cork mouth bottle.

Foil
The aluminium foil is welded between the inside of the cap to provide an oxygen barrier equivalent to a screw cap.

Plunger
The polyethylene plunger is clipped into the inside of the cap and welded to the foil. The plunger creates the 'pop' on extraction and reseals the bottle after use. The plunger material has been tested by the AWRI and shows no negative affects on the wine.

See http://www.zork.com.au
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:31 pm

Sam Platt wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Let's move along to making fun of Joe P. in his masterful post.

Well, okay then. However, I'm reserving the right to make fun of anyone who posts a favorable tasting note on any Sancerre. :)

This has to be a joke. You don't like all Sancerre?
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:25 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:The margin of error has not been mentioned here yet. :) From what I recall of Statistics, the MoE of 1 in 100 will be much larger than that for 100 in 10,000.

Precisely my point.

BTW, not that it matters, I got a B+ in Statistics for my MA. :)

Neil Courtney wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:
TimMc wrote:

But this also has nothing to do with Zorks.

So getting back On Topic, to answer somones question about what is a Zork constructed of:

Materials
ZORK is made of three parts. The primary functions of the three components are:

Cap
The polyethylene cap provides a tamper evident clamp that locks the closure onto the CETIE band of a cork mouth bottle.

Foil
The aluminium foil is welded between the inside of the cap to provide an oxygen barrier equivalent to a screw cap.

Plunger
The polyethylene plunger is clipped into the inside of the cap and welded to the foil. The plunger creates the 'pop' on extraction and reseals the bottle after use. The plunger material has been tested by the AWRI and shows no negative affects on the wine.

See http://www.zork.com.au

Sounds like a reasonable response to the TCA issue...whaddya think, Guys?

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:51 pm

I've been following this thread through to its death, but now I have an actual question about a Zork closure. What is a CETIE cork mouth bottle? As a home winemaker, I'm either stuck with real corks or fake corks. Does the Zork require special equipment to seal the bottles and is this method an alternative for a home winemaker?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:54 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I've been following this thread through to its death...

Obviously it's not dead yet.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:23 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:This has to be a joke. You don't like all Sancerre?

Oliver, I happened onto to a Sancerre from Domaine Du Nozay a couple of years ago. It had texture, depth, body and was a very enjoyable wine. I thought "Great, I'll try other Sancerre". So it began, my quest for more "good" Sancerre. Thus far it has been quite like a quest for the holy grail. You name the Sancerre producer and I've tried it. With the exeption of the Du Nozay its all been mineral water with a slice of lemon tossed in. I just don't get the style apparently. The local wine huckster quit carrying the Domaine Du Nozay to boot. Therefore I mock all those who profess to enjoy Sancerre... in a good way, of course. :wink:
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

CETIE

by Bob Ross » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:32 pm

Howie, it's the standard wine bottle -- "The European CETIE is the specification for the finish on the top section of the mouth of the wine bottle; it’s a universal finish and size." From a Q and A on the Zork closure." CETIE is an acronym for Centre Technique International de l'Embouteillage.
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: CETIE

by TimMc » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:41 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Howie, it's the standard wine bottle -- "The European CETIE is the specification for the finish on the top section of the mouth of the wine bottle; it’s a universal finish and size." From a Q and A on the Zork closure." CETIE is an acronym for Centre Technique International de l'Embouteillage.

And not a screw cap. Right?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: CETIE

by Bob Ross » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:50 pm

"Seals like a screw cap and pops like a cork."

http://www.zork.com.au/
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:56 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I've been following this thread through to its death, but now I have an actual question about a Zork closure. What is a CETIE cork mouth bottle? As a home winemaker, I'm either stuck with real corks or fake corks. Does the Zork require special equipment to seal the bottles and is this method an alternative for a home winemaker?

Check out the Manual Capping PDF doc on the Buy Zork page Howie. Just a simple capping machine is all you need.

http://www.zork.com.au/buy.html
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:19 pm

I've been following this thread through to its death, but now I have an actual question about a Zork closure. What is a CETIE cork mouth bottle? As a home winemaker, I'm either stuck with real corks or fake corks. Does the Zork require special equipment to seal the bottles and is this method an alternative for a home winemaker?

Hi Howie,
Good Question. Like almost all European Bordeaux Bottles I think this refers to the reinforced band of glass just below the mouth of the bottle.

Salute
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:18 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:The margin of error has not been mentioned here yet. :) From what I recall of Statistics, the MoE of 1 in 100 will be much larger than that for 100 in 10,000. I failed Stat Maths II, so what do I know!

I think you've hit at the crux of the difference between Tim's and my opinions and observations. From the theoretical mathematical standpoint (infinite number of samples drawn, asymptotically approaching inifinity, and other such mathematical jargon), 1 in 100 and 100 in 10,000 are the same: both 1% defect rate. No question--the sampling error is much higher for a sample of 100 than for a sample of 10,000--you're more likely to see a 0%, 2% or 3% error with a sample size of 100 (no defects, 2 defects, 3 defects vs. 1 defect) than you are to see such an error with a sample size of 10,000 (less than 90 defects, greater than 110 defects).

But no matter how you run the stats, the failure rate for corks is way higher than would be commonly acceptable for any other consumer product, except, as I already stated, for software, where an even more appallingly miserable defect rate is routinely tolerated.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:37 am

Sam Platt wrote:
Oliver McCrum wrote:This has to be a joke. You don't like all Sancerre?

Oliver, I happened onto to a Sancerre from Domaine Du Nozay a couple of years ago. It had texture, depth, body and was a very enjoyable wine. I thought "Great, I'll try other Sancerre". So it began, my quest for more "good" Sancerre. Thus far it has been quite like a quest for the holy grail. You name the Sancerre producer and I've tried it. With the exeption of the Du Nozay its all been mineral water with a slice of lemon tossed in. I just don't get the style apparently. The local wine huckster quit carrying the Domaine Du Nozay to boot. Therefore I mock all those who profess to enjoy Sancerre... in a good way, of course. :wink:

Well, Sam, I do wonder whether you've had the good ones. Unless you don't like cooler-climate SBL, of course, which may be the case. I love them.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:00 am

I don't like Sancerre either. And I have had the good ones. Give me Savennieres any day.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:10 am

Thanks Neil!
Sounds like an interesting solution. Especially since my bottle collection will not become obsolete. Now, if I can find out how to get my hands on some. I'll talk with my local home wine/brewing supply house to see if they can get some in.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:28 am

Oliver McCrum wrote:Well, Sam, I do wonder whether you've had the good ones. Unless you don't like cooler-climate SBL, of course, which may be the case. I love them.

Oliver, Consider yourself mocked! :D I think that you are correct. The cool climate SB juice just doesn't work on my palate. I do like the stuff from NZ and elsewhere, so it's not the grape itself that turns me off. I am open to suggestions if you have a favorite Sancerre to recommend.
Sam

PreviousNext