The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hirtzberger Honivogls

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Hirtzberger Honivogls

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:58 am

2000 Hirtzberger Honivogl Grüner Veltliner Smaragd
I was worried about this one, after having a lackluster soft and meandering 2000 Hirtzberger Singerriedel the other night. And, this lived up to all my low expectations. It wasn't really heavy or broad but it was a plump and squishy dollop of fruit that just sat there without enough precision or detail to get me excited. Not a bad wine, but nothing to really keep drinking.

2002 Hirtzberger Honivogl Grüner Veltliner Smaragd
This on the other hand was worth drinking. Firm and golden yet with delightful clarity of presence. I have had the 01 version twice and that strikes me as a more intense and complex wine. But, this was no slouch and it showed layers of silky fruit and presented enough composure and depth for me to want to keep drinking. Nice.
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

Re: WTN: Hirtzberger Honivogls

by Martin Barz » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:28 am

I was also disappointed by matured "Singerriedel" from Hirtzberger. In general too broad and alcoholic.
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:18 am

I hate the 2000 vintage in Austria. Nothing is any good at this point.

Mature Riesling Singerriedel (and Gruner Veltliner Honivogl) can be an absolute joy from a good vintage.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:15 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I hate the 2000 vintage in Austria. Nothing is any good at this point.

Yes, that was the report and although some people have good things to say about certain 00 wines, these bottles supported the pessimism for me (which explained why they were so available for purchase).
no avatar
User

Frank Drew

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:14 pm

Virginia

by Frank Drew » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:46 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I hate the 2000 vintage in Austria. Nothing is any good at this point.

Nigl's 2000 Riesling Kremser Kremsleiten was still very good as recently as maybe a half a year ago, not very different from the 2002 (at least qualitatively). I'm not sure if I've had anything else from that vintage
no avatar
User

Cliff Rosenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:06 pm

New York City

by Cliff Rosenberg » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:48 am

While I agree it was a difficult year, this is awfully harsh. I drank up most of mine awhile ago, but I think I have some Nigl Privat left. It was doing fine last year, if memory serves.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:19 pm

Cliff Rosenberg wrote:I drank up most of mine awhile ago, but I think I have some Nigl Privat left. It was doing fine last year, if memory serves.

I thought I was going crazy there, as I said almost same thing (about the '00 Privat and a Nikolaihof Smaragd) before, but I didn't see my comments. Then I realized there are 2 threads where David said this (2 Amys). I'm happy to own two I mentioned, though I agree some 2000 Austrians are quite disappointing (Knoll "Ried Kreutles Loibner" GV Smaragd).
no avatar
User

Cliff Rosenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

New York City

by Cliff Rosenberg » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:37 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Cliff Rosenberg wrote:I drank up most of mine awhile ago, but I think I have some Nigl Privat left. It was doing fine last year, if memory serves.

I thought I was going crazy there, as I said almost same thing (about the '00 Privat and a Nikolaihof Smaragd) before, but I didn't see my comments. Then I realized there are 2 threads where David said this (2 Amys). I'm happy to own two I mentioned, though I agree some 2000 Austrians are quite disappointing (Knoll "Ried Kreutles Loibner" GV Smaragd).

Sorry, I missed it there.

The most lasting impression I got from a big Hirtzberger Singerriedel tasting last year, going back to the early 1990's, was how well they do in off years -- there was very, very little difference. I thought we had the 2000 but don't seem to have any notes on it. I have also learned since then how much I love the Hochrain, which doesn't seem to get the love it deserves.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:31 pm

Cliff Rosenberg wrote:The most lasting impression I got from a big Hirtzberger Singerriedel tasting last year, going back to the early 1990's, was how well they do in off years..

It might depend on the definition of an off year. For a wine like these Hirtzbergers that tend to be big and 'fluffy' (in VLM parlance) an off-vintage like 00 might take things too far. However, in leaner off-vintages the result might be actually quite delicious. At least to my tastes. Hypothetically speaking, I don't actually have that detailed experience.
no avatar
User

Cliff Rosenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

New York City

by Cliff Rosenberg » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:38 pm

Hmmm, "fluffy" is not the term that comes to mind. "Big," on the other hand, sure. So what you say makes sense to me.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:21 am

I am generally universal in my enjoyment of vintage variation, but I cannot regard the progression of the 2000s as anything but lousy. The mention of two specific wines that have turned out well does nothing to raise doubt in my mind.

2000s from Brundlmayer, Knoll, Pichler, Hirsch, etc have all come across my path in both Riesling and Gruner Veltliner (some from my cellar), and not one was worth spending time drinking. I have had the 2000 Nigl Privat, though several years ago.

I am currently cellaring wines from every Austrian vintage back to 1995 except 2000. I see no reason to select a 2000 when so many better options are out there.

Dale and Cliff-do you actually find yourself looking forward to drinking the 2000s, or do you open them because they are there?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Harald Trost

Rank

Just got here

Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:51 am

Vienna

by Harald Trost » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:06 am

[quote="David M. Bueker"]
I am currently cellaring wines from every Austrian vintage back to 1995 except 2000.
[/quote]

All but 2000? That sounds interesting. You mean you still keep 1996 wines - possibly the
worst vintage over the last 20 years? I remember very few fine examples but none which
I would have dared to cellar 12 years.

That said, 2000 was the first year in Austria with exceptionally hot and dry weather.
The wineries then did not know how to cope with it. In 2003 they already knew so
the results were somewhat better. But I still have to find the 2003 white that really excites
me.
no avatar
User

Cliff Rosenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

New York City

by Cliff Rosenberg » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:16 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I am generally universal in my enjoyment of vintage variation, but I cannot regard the progression of the 2000s as anything but lousy. The mention of two specific wines that have turned out well does nothing to raise doubt in my mind.

2000s from Brundlmayer, Knoll, Pichler, Hirsch, etc have all come across my path in both Riesling and Gruner Veltliner (some from my cellar), and not one was worth spending time drinking. I have had the 2000 Nigl Privat, though several years ago.

I am currently cellaring wines from every Austrian vintage back to 1995 except 2000. I see no reason to select a 2000 when so many better options are out there.

Dale and Cliff-do you actually find yourself looking forward to drinking the 2000s, or do you open them because they are there?

I don't dispute the vintage generalization, but I do think there were some nice wines made. Do I think the 2000 Nigl Privat is as compelling as the 1999? No. But I really do look forward to drinking the couple I have left; the last one was a lovely experience.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:53 pm

Cliff Rosenberg wrote:I don't dispute the vintage generalization, but I do think there were some nice wines made. Do I think the 2000 Nigl Privat is as compelling as the 1999? No. But I really do look forward to drinking the couple I have left; the last one was a lovely experience.

Thanks, you saved me typing. :)