The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Welnerberg Pinotage (Kosher; Swartland Winery, SA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2005 Welnerberg Pinotage (Kosher; Swartland Winery, SA)

by Paul B. » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:02 pm

Picked up this one for a mere $10.65 at an LCBO in Toronto, on general list. It is a kosher Pinotage - the first one I have seen in our market. Having read on a few websites that this was a leathery and astringent Pinotage, I just had to get one to try.

Closed with a pliable synthetic (rubber? plastic?) cork. 14.5% alc./vol. Medium-dark garnet with a scarlet-ruby core. Subdued, yet varietally correct hints of leather, wild strawberry, banana and coal - so far so good. But it appears quite viscous in the glass, and the first sip proves it... Big alcohol and heat, yet at a deeper level, simultaneously thin; lots of alcoholic heat, and a sweet (not fruit-sweet - sugary-sweet) mid-palate. Mass-market feel. Some decent flavour replays on the mid-palate, but they're rather faint. Lots of heat all across the palate and a bothersome sweetness all throughout the tasting profile. It's just barely workable at the dinner table.

This was worth trying, if only to eliminate it as a possible old-style holdover for an inexpensive price. Inexpensive it is, but it just isn't flavourful enough for me to want to try again.

The search continues.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca