The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Burgundy, White Rhone, Cotes Catalanes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Burgundy, White Rhone, Cotes Catalanes

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:58 am

2007 Terre des Papes Cotes Du Rhone Blanc (35% Clairette, 35% White Grenache, 30% White Viognier). $16 at WineStyles. Not profound or mindblowing in any way, just a very enjoyable, pleasant to drink white wine for a late summer evening. I had never heard of Clairette and have almost nil experience with White Grenache, but to my (perhaps primed) palate, the Viognier definitely dominated this wine. Nice peach fruit and citrus. Smooth, but still some good acidity. Unlike some Cali Vignier blends, no heat at all from alcohol. Solid 88 points. Very nice.

2006 Jean Louis Triboulet "Les Bacs" Vins de Pay des Cotes Catalanes. Typical Rhone varietal blend. Rather alcoholic for a French wine (14.5% abv nominal) Nonetheless, to steal a term from Steve Edmunds, "La Terre Parle." Certainly some big ripe plum fruit, and a big mouthfeel, but the earthinesss of this wine just showed through in a big way. No harshness from the alcohol, although it did, I have to admit, go to my head fairly quickly. One of the benefits of having a wine shop three blocks from home is no threat of DUI. :? 90 points and delicious for the sub-$20 price. I was comparing this to Paso Robles wines in climate, alcohol level,etc. Why do I like it so much more, especially given that the Paso wines I compared it to is twice the price? :?

At dinner with my friends Joe and Donna, who prepared fantastic chicken pot pies.

2001 Domaine Henri Perrot-Minot Morey Saint Denis "En La Rue de Vergy" I don't know a lot about Burgundy (or anything else, for that matter) but this wine struck me as a very lovely "mid point wine" for those used to drinking fruit-forward California Pinots. Lovely dark garnet color with a beautiful nose of black cherry and earth. Not shut down at all. No evident oakyness to my oakaphobic palate, although I understand from bloggers I trust that the CHIRSTPHE P-M wines are supposed to be oaky messes. On the palate, beautiful black cherry fruit whispers "California," but the lovely earthy character of the structure and underpinnings of this wine says "France." I really enjoyed this Pinot quite a lot, although it was big and rich enough that I probably should have saved it for a big juicy steak. Still, solid 92 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach