The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2005 Bordeaux in BC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

2005 Bordeaux in BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:37 pm

The annual cattle call where everyone lines up with credit cards in their hot little hands took place on Saturday the release of the 2005 Bordeaux. It would seem that the economy is not affecting these buyers to any great degree.

Top single buyer at one store spent $72,000 including doubling up (which meant lining up twice) on all the biggies - first growths, Petrus, etc. At the other store, the largest in the province, a single buyer spent $84,000!

Don't know where it is all coming from, and at our prices, these guys could have bought some really excellent aged mature wines, but then I guess we aren't spending money bailing out people that knew they couldn't afford houses in the first place, and were right.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: 2005 Bordeaux in BC

by Jon Peterson » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:49 pm

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised when my local Costco sold out of the '05s. $84K...that's a big chunk of change. Do you think these are restaurants or collectors? (I presume collectors since I imagine restaurants buy wholesale.)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: 2005 Bordeaux in BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:07 pm

It could well be some restaurants as they are otherwise limited on amounts on the high end stuff, or it could be someone wanting to sell it into another market where it is even more expensive (in the past, the US, but with the horrid prices this year I expect you guys get better deals than we do on most of the wines).

Either way, a good chunk of change!