The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: CaneFelice Sangiovese '06...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: CaneFelice Sangiovese '06...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:03 am

Fresh off the boat, I cracked w/ my pasta last night:
1. CaneFelice Sangiovese StolpmanVnyd/SantaBarbaraCnty (14.9%; http://www.JaffursWine.com) 2006: Very dark/black color; rather toasty/oak very strong licorice/black cherry/Sangio slight pungent/tarry ripe/lush slight earthy nose; tart/bit lean/hard somewhat tannic strong black cherry/bing cherry/licorice rather toasty/oak light earthy/loamy flavor; long hard/tannic strong bing cherry/licorice rather toasty/oak finish; needs 3-8 yrs; very/very good example of Calif Sangio. $22.00
1. CaneFelice (Happy Dog) is the label DaveYates uses for the small amount of wine he makes at Jaffurs. This is about the 4th-5th vintage of Sangio Dave has made. And it strikes me as his best one yet. It's got that acid edge and tannic bite that Sangio shows in Calif; but a richness & lushness you don't often get in those wines. It's one of the better Calif Sangios I've had and seems to have the potential to develop w/ some age.
The label has a picture of a dog on it. And a happy one at that. Someday it would be nice if the label showed Enzo, Larry's endearing hound dog. Larry is an important cog in the Jaffurs winemaking team; responsible for earwig duty on the incoming loads of grapes. A job suited to his many talents.
Tom