The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Great Kiwi Kicking

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

WTN: The Great Kiwi Kicking

by Anders Källberg » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:22 pm

There was an unusually tense feeling in the crowd that had gathered for this tasting with AuZone - the wine society. Many of us had looked forward to this one - a duel between Burgundy and New Zealand - for quite a while. The weapons: three bottles each of red wine made from Pinot Noir. The question was simply who was going to kick whom? Would the classical wines from Bourgogne easily beat the shit out of their antipodean counterparts or would the deeper fruit in the wines from the southern hemisphere win due to their more immediate charm.We were about to be able to make that judgment now. The two teams were chosen by the two organizers of the event. the only rule being that the average price of the three bottles could not be more than 400 SEK, about 45 Euros or USD 70. Our task was to rank them from the best to the least appreciated and then cast our votes.
the wines we tasted were:

2003 Waipara Springs Reserve, Waipara Valley, Canterbury, NZ
Medium deep red with a little denser core
Warm, rather developed, meaty nose with loads of smoking wood fire. Spicy and charming. Good Pinot fruit.
Fresh, delicious attack with a nice, juicy acidity. Wood fire and charm again. Not to heavy, a bit dry tannins. Ending a bit dry and acidic. Good maturation. I guessed Bourgorgne...

2005 Savigny les Beaune aux Clous 1er cru, Domaine d’Ardhuy, Bourgogne
Rather deep red with a slightly purple rim.
A bit closed, dusty nose, but dense and with a dark, slightly aromatic cherry fruit. Nice oak and chocolate notes. Allspice and slightly gamey.
Fresh and clean attack. Dense. Fresh acidity. Fiery and with strong notes of toasted oak. marked, coarse and dry tannins that gives the wine a dry, coarse and earthy finish. Powerful and in the need to be laid down for some years. Probably closing up right now. NZ was my guess.

2000 Corton Bressandes, Comte Senard, Bourgogne
Light brick red. Beautiful mature colour. Sadly the nose immediately shows the tell tale signs of a heavily cork tainted wine. Vegetal and unpleasant. Impossible to judge what might have been behind that TCA smell.

2006 Te Muna Road, Craggy Range, Martinborough, NZ
Medium deep reddish purple with a pale rim.
Deep nose with sweet, red strawberry and cherry fruit. Quite a bit of pinosity. A little jammy. Fruit driven and clean, but maybe not the most complex nose.
Fresh and clean attack. Refreshing acidity. Dense, aromatic fruit. Quite a bit of tannins that are well embedded in the fruit. long, fiery finish. The fruit and the embedded tannins led me correctly to New Zeeland this time. It seems like I'm getting better at this!

2004 Felton Road, Block 3, Central Otago, NZ
Rather dense, red colour with a darker core and some signs of development.
Classy, deep and charming nose. Developed with gamey notes of meat. Smoking wood, pinosity and loads of shit. Delicious and impressive!
Very fresh attack with sweet, delicious fruit and tasty wood notes. Broad, charming taste. Smoke. Fresh, chewy acidity and a little sweetness. Quite a lot of well structured tannins that are nicely embedded on the sweetish fruit. Long, spicy and charming aftertaste. Really good wine!

1993 Volney-Santenots-du-Milieu, Comtes Lafon, Bourgogne
Dense, dark red colour with brick coloured rim.
A bit lean but dense and meaty nose. Some alcohol sting in the nose. Dark, ripe strawberry fruit and dark chocolate.
Very fresh, almost acidic attack. Very fresh, acidity driven style with dry, dominant tannins that kills the fruit in the aftertaste. Fiery, dry and peppery. Coarse and unbalanced with lack of Pinot-charm.

So, the result of the jury? Surprisingly for most, except maybe for Erik, the Kiwis really kicked butt with their Burgundian counterparts. The three Kiwi wines came out first, second and third! A rather embarrassing defeat for Burgundy. Although only one of the NZ wines, the Felton Road, had a screw cap, it felt significant that the corked wine came from Burgundy, and also frustrating, since the corked Corton might very well have been a wine that could have given the antipodeans a match. Maybe one could argue that it was a bit odd that Ansgar, who was the leader for the Burgundy team, only had chosen wines from Côte de Beaune. Perhaps the upper price limit was a limiting factor here.
Anyway, a most interesting tasting with a, for us lovers of New Zealand's Pinot Noirs, very clear and satisfying result. It was also interesting to note the rather rapid development of these wines. the clear winner of the night, Felton Road's '04, was rather mature and is probably not for and prolonged cellaring. But then, we don't have much experience of how these wines will continue to age. Anyway, it will be very interesting to follow their further development.

In the end, we got an extra wine which was distinctly aged, eventually clear mushroom notes evolved, that lead me to think of mature Nebbiolo. We did, however, guess Pinot Noir, and it was a Russian Pinot Noir, probably from somewhere near Crimea. We were told that the father of the producer had brought home cutting of Pinot after the war (which one?). A fun wine, but also good that it was given us for free!

Here's the line-up:

Lineup25.jpg

Cheers, Anders
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: The Great Kiwi Kicking

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks for the report, very interesting. The burgundy team didn't seem as well chosen as it could have been, but I know so little about Kiwi PN that I can't even begin to speculate about the fairness of the match up. Will try to find some Felton Road.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:46 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Thanks for the report, very interesting. The burgundy team didn't seem as well chosen as it could have been, but I know so little about Kiwi PN that I can't even begin to speculate about the fairness of the match up. Will try to find some Felton Road.

True, Oswaldo. As I indicated above, I had a bit of the same feeling. The '93 Volnay was apparently not one of the best bottles of a batch bought at auction. Ansgar had had much better bottles of it and then the corked one... On the other hand, it is always easy to reason like this afterwards, but it does not change the votes of the jury.
/A
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:08 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:A rather embarrassing defeat for Burgundy.

I know this has been discussed to death in the past but I'm not sure situations like this provide a 'defeat' for any particular wine. Rather, they clarify preferences of the tasters.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:29 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I know this has been discussed to death in the past but I'm not sure situations like this provide a 'defeat' for any particular wine. Rather, they clarify preferences of the tasters.

Maybe so, but I can assure you that many of the tasters were definitely on the French side, regarding their normal preferences, some even outspoken Burgundy lovers. Furthermore, of course, but I did not mention it, all the wines were served blind. Of course one can discuss the importance of any single tasting, but I felt it interesting to note that the quality of the Kiwi wines were this good, not only in the charm of their youth. It is also striking how often Burgundy has problems in comparative tastings. True, many bottles are exquisite, but there are also many that does not live up to the expectations.
Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:39 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:The '93 Volnay was apparently not one of the best bottles of a batch bought at auction. Ansgar had had much better bottles of it and then the corked one... On the other hand, it is always easy to reason like this afterwards, but it does not change the votes of the jury./A

I was referring to decisions like comparing three young Kiwis to one young, one closer to middle aged and one older burgundy. I know these comparisons are always unfair at some level, but I would have also wanted the three burgs to be from between 03 and 05. If that made them unapproachable, well, then, that's tough, but at least the Judgment of Stockholm would come closer to comparing apples to apples (or kiwis to raspberries, or whatever...).
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:40 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:Maybe so, but I can assure you that many of the tasters were definitely on the French side, regarding their normal preferences, some even outspoken Burgundy lovers. Furthermore, of course, but I did not mention it, all the wines were served blind. Of course one can discuss the importance of any single tasting, but I felt it interesting to note that the quality of the Kiwi wines were this good, not only in the charm of their youth. It is also striking how often Burgundy has problems in comparative tastings. True, many bottles are exquisite, but there are also many that does not live up to the expectations.
Cheers, Anders

Yes, all good points.

I think NZ pinot noir has some sort of 'advantage' in this type of tasting because they seem to have such reliable fruit and Burgundy obviously goes through so many stages. But, that is all part of the fun. :D