The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly Cab/Shiraz blends and a Palo Cortado

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Mostly Cab/Shiraz blends and a Palo Cortado

by Jay Labrador » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:21 pm

Notes from Arnie's surprise birthday party last Saturday.

Darioush Duel Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah 2005 - Very dark, sweet, oaky. Cocoa, spice and rootbeer. Soft and ready to drink. Fairly long finish. Good.

Penfolds Bin 389 2004 - Very rich but with some acidity to cut through it. Barely ready. Needs time. Should turn out excellent in 3 to 5 years or so.

Glaetzer Godolphin 2005 - Very dark. Hot and sweet with a candy-like finish. Soft.Good balance. A bit of oak sticks out on the finish. I'm not sure this can still improve as it's quite soft but, as I have a bottle, I'll probably hang on to it a few years and see what happens down the road. I loved the 2004 of this but this bottle didn't really appeal to me. For now, just good.

Emilio Moro 2005 - Ribera del Duero. I arrived at the party very late and was told that this was very tannic when first tried. It had been open over two hours when I tried it. Sweet berry, still a bit of tannin. Meaty. Cassis and raspberry. Good balance, long finish. Very good.

Artero Merlot Reserva 2002 - From La Mancha. Minty. Soft, sweet, simple. Bland wine.

Hidalgo Palo Cortado Viejo Aged 30 Years VQRS bottled 2006 - Not too interesting at first but very good with walnuts which perfectly complemented the wine's nutty finish. I guess this falls somewhere between Oloroso and Amontillado. Goes nicely with cheese as well. Interesting, but not something I'd go out of my way for
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.