The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Wild Duck Creek Springflat Shiraz (Heathcote, Vic)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: 2001 Wild Duck Creek Springflat Shiraz (Heathcote, Vic)

by Salil » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:29 pm

15.5% alcohol, back label suggests decanting with winemaker's notes informing me that this spent about a year and a half in new oak (French and American).
Part of me cringes at the prospect of a massive fruit-bomb, particularly with fact that I've got a few more bottles of this. First impressions are not promising - after popping and pouring, this comes across as a little monolithic with just a ton of dark fruited flavours and not much more.

After two hours in a decanter, this has changed considerably. The youthful fruit flavours still dominate the nose, but there's a lot more complexity with dark chocolate, earth, spices and some minty/eucalyptus notes coming out. In the mouth this is outstanding, showing ripe sweet plums and blackberries with earth, chocolate and hints of tobacco leaf emerging after a little more time in the glass. This is a big wine, but it's in perfect balance with good acidity adding lift and keeping it from ever feeling too big/extracted, chewy tannins and just a little bit of bitterness on the finish (with the alcohol barely showing - it's only really perceptible when it gets a little too warm).
no avatar
User

Mark Noah

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Baltimore

Re: WTN: 2001 Wild Duck Creek Springflat Shiraz (Heathcote, Vic)

by Mark Noah » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:40 am

Not sure why you thought this wine was going to be a "fruit bomb". From a cooler climate, Wild Duck Creek makes some great wines with exceptional acid balance.

You're lucky to have a few bottles. The wine is no longer imported into the US. Hopefully, some importer will pick these guys up.

Mark
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: 2001 Wild Duck Creek Springflat Shiraz (Heathcote, Vic)

by Salil » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:06 pm

Mark Noah wrote:Not sure why you thought this wine was going to be a "fruit bomb". From a cooler climate, Wild Duck Creek makes some great wines with exceptional acid balance.

The alcohol level and some of the reviews I've read of other Wild Duck wines (like some of the Duck Mucks) gave me the impression that these wines are made with more of a full-throttle fruit approach than the other Shiraz I drink from Heathcote.