The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Poyferre & Barton, mano a mano

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Poyferre & Barton, mano a mano

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:30 pm

Matt Richman arranged a Leoville-Leoville showdown, comparing some mature (or maturing) Bartons and Poyferres. Paul Jauoen arranged for dinner at Morton's , nice meal (though while steaks are always good, I'm still perplexed as to an appetizer to have with red Bordeaux, I chickened out with a salad).

Ruinart Rose Champagne
I THINK this was a NV. Crisp dry bubbly, strawberries with just a hint of a bready note, very good. B+

1993 Leoville Poyferre

This one was a solo flight. Nose was pretty good, lots of red currant and mint. The palate was quite a letdown from the nose, somewhat flat and tired with a little hint of green. C+

then mini-horizontal flights:

1983 Leoville Barton (magnum)
Cassis, tannins, leathery. B-

1983 Leoville Poyferre
Sweeter fruit, a ferric mineral note, also a bit of drying tannin. B-/B

I liked both more than table. Both of these might have benefited from more air (opened just before serving), meant to try the Barton again, but leapt up for a train.

1989 Leoville Barton
Denser and more tannic than the Poyferre, needs time. B+

1989 Leoville Poyferre
Really quite nice, rounder, softer, seems fairly ready to me. B+/A-

1990 Leoville Barton A-
1990 Leoville Poyferre A
Steaks must have come right here, I have zero written notes on either. I do know I like both a lot, my favorite flight,.with the Poyferre being my WOTN, nice ripe fruit balanced with fresh acidity, great concentration and length. Barton was less flamboyant, but almost as good.

1982 Leoville Barton
This is initially striking me as somewhat dumb and closed. Once Paul says he thinks it's corked I can get a little cardboard. Flawed.

1982 Leoville Poyferre
This is excellent. Nicely resolved tannins, some cassis mixed with redder fruits, fresh, cigarbox and a little leather. Good length. Not huge, more elegant. A/A-

1995 Leoville Barton
Not as open/giving as the Poyferre, but not totally austere. Rich dark fruit, tannic, needs time. B+

1995 Leoville Poyferre
Surprisingly open, soft. Easy to drink, lush fruit, some graphite, good length. B+/A-

1996 Leoville Barton
If the 1995 needs a little time, this needs a lot. This is stern and reticent, but I think there's a lot underneath here. B for now, A- potential.

1996 Leoville Poyferre
This is the one I have several of, and I felt it showed weird this night. Ripe jammy nose, some kind of funky shroomy thing, better on palate, but I didn't love tonight. Tannic. I've liked a lot more before. B

1983 Grahams Vintage Port
Didn't get a decant. That combined with those yucky little port glasses meant this was a bit tight. Plums and prunes, a little cocoa, some orange peel. Wish I could have nursed this longer. B tonight, probably deserves more.

1989 Milz Laurentiushof Trittenheimer Felsenkopf Beerenauslese
Only a half bottle for 9 guys, but a little goes a long way. Ripe apricots drenched in honey, good acidity, just a hint of diesel and some white flowers. A-/B+

I don't think anyone didn't think Poyferre outperformed Barton on this night. Of course, I think if we had included '85/'86/'88 (or some earlier vintages) that might not have held up. But little doubt this evening. Nice night, though political talk with knives on hand is always a little unnerving. Good group, good time.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Poyferre & Barton, mano a mano

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:33 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I'm still perplexed as to an appetizer to have with red Bordeaux.

Steak tartare?

Sweetbreads?

Marrow?

Dale Williams wrote:Steaks must have come right here, I have zero written notes on either

Funny how things seem to happen that way. To me as well.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:56 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Steak tartare?
Sweetbreads?
Marrow?

I should have been more specific, I wish Morton's had more Bdx friendly appetizers (carpaccio, stuffed mushrooms , duck, etc). The choices are basically raw bar items, shrimp cocktail, scallops w/bacon, crabcakes, oysters rock, etc. Or salads.
The place gives us good corkage deal, and the mains are good for bigger Bordeaux. But as typically have 10-15 bottles to go through, we really need to be into the reds by time apps arrive.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:56 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I should have been more specific, I wish Morton's had more Bdx friendly appetizers (carpaccio, stuffed mushrooms , duck, etc). The choices are basically raw bar items, shrimp cocktail, scallops w/bacon, crabcakes, oysters rock, etc. Or salads..

I agree, not the most Bordeaux friendly food.

Of course as a non-meat eater I am accustomed to offlines where I somehow match the fierce Barolo with the delicate halibut on my plate..
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:09 pm

Dale,

I appreciate your TNs, esp. for the '89 and '90 Leoville Barton. Neither one sounds like it may be fully developed yet, but it's a little bit of a surprise how the '90 was more giving than the '89 at your dinner. Have seen generally the other way round for several years; I hope it is more that the '90 has finally started to really gel and open up, not that the '89 is drying out and fading already. Ulp, I have half a case of each and wasn't worried ...
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:40 pm

A very interesting night. Half of the attendees (myself included) said that prior to the event they would have predicted a preference for Barton overall, however the clear winner was Poyferre, a sentiment that was unanimous I believe. The Barton just seemed stiff next to the Poyferre, which was warmer and silkier, and all around fuller and better.

1993 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
NIce nose with cedar. Dry with flat chunky wooden tannins and some black licorice.
C

1983 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
Dense with good broad complexity. Dark notes. Still a bit tannic with iron/mineral. Muscular but pretty.
B

1983 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
Bit dry and acidic. Stiff fruit. Some dark notes. Pretty long. From Magnum.
B--

1989 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
Deep full fruit. Complete. Some dark notes. Rich. Very nice. Small note of sweet candy.
B+/A-

1989 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
Dark with some tar. A bit stiff. Young? Under-fruited? Good but not up to the Poyferre.
B+

1990 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
Gorgeous. Rich, sweet but not overly. Silky, fantastic mouth feel. Beautiful wine. Drinking very well but will hold on for many years. Expansive.
A/A+

1990 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
Firm and dense. A solid wine with some acidic backbone. Not as smooth, developed or as good as the Poyferre.
A-

1982 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
Broad, smooth, rich, expansive. Drinking great. Complete. Wondeful.
A

1982 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
Firm, solid, some acid. Not completely resolved. A bit stiff. Drinking well but could still use some time. Some around the table thought it might be corked, but I didn't sense it.
A-

1995 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
Firm, slightly candied. Tiny tannins. Still a bit tight.
B++

1995 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
Firm and acidic. Lots of mineral. Stiff.
B/B+

1996 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
Tannic, tight. Some sweet fruit with acidic tannins. As I've found in the past, this seems like an awkward wine. Not sure where it's going.
B

1996 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
A bit tight. NIce full fruit, dense. Stiff but with nice packed fruit. Needs a few years. Will open beautifully. Lots of potential.
A-

Winners:
1983 LP (5 to 3)
1989 tie
1990 LP (8 to 1)
1982 LP (9 to 0)
1995 LP (8 to 1)
1996 LB (7 to 2)

WOTN: 1990 LP (5), 1982 LP (3), 1990 LB (1)
Last edited by Matt Richman on Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:40 am

A surprising result, thanks for letting us know.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:43 pm

Matt,
I'm pretty sure it was the '82 Barton that at least Paul (and then Richard and I) thought was corked.
Jeff,
I didn't feel the '89 was drying out at all, if I had I'd hold, it just wasn't quite as friendly as the '90.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:47 pm

I always enjoy both wines, though I actually prefer the additional bit of austerity typically present in Barton.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Thanks Dale. I knew that. It was a note transposing error and I've corrected it. Thanks for catching that.

Actually I was just making sure YOU were paying attention....
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:09 am

Thanks for the notes. I have several vintages of the Poyferre (from this decade) and maybe one vintage of Barton so I'm glad to hear that the Poyferre seems more approachable.