The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Who's cross?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Who's cross?

by Florida Jim » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:47 pm

2005 Baudry, Chinon La Croix Boissée:
When I was in CA last, I tasted a Napa cabernet franc that really tasted like good Chinon – but then, there is good and there is . . .; this is fantastic Chinon – the nose is expansive, penetrating and all encompassing – tobacco, seasoned plum compote, Baker’s chocolate; rich but firm in the mouth, super fine tannins that are ripe but not sweet, classic black fruit, some mineral – this seems to morph as it slides across the tongue – worsted texture, precise balance; endless, nuanced length.
Much as I loved that well-made CA cab. franc there is no substitute for the real thing; this wine is spherical but also expansive in a way that lets me know that this variety can produce world class wines of extraordinary potency. Its possible that this will live a very long time – but right now, it’s a reminder that glory and greatness exist in the world –concepts that seems to be in short supply.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Re: WTN: Who's cross?

by Clint Hall » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:24 pm

The 2005 Bernard Baudry Chinon "Les Grezeaux" is another winner from the same vintage, if you share my affection for barnyard and are willing to wait it our for five, six, maybe ten years.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Who's cross?

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:21 pm

Clint Hall wrote:The 2005 Bernard Baudry Chinon "Les Grezeaux" is another winner...if you share my affection for barnyard.

Interesting. Never thought of this as a big brett wine. But don't think I've had the 05. Or at least not a lot of it/enough of it to remember.