The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Pegovino Cotes Du Rhone Village

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:16 am

This wine was reasonably priced and came highly recommended by the local wine mart - "Can't keep in on the shelves". Perhaps that should have been my first clue, though I have had wines by Feraud in the past and have been quite pleased with them. The nose had an unpleasant machined plastic note to it that seemed to almost intensify with time. Weak and watery in mouth with a microsecond finish. A very poor effort in my opinion. I have no idea why this stuff is a hot seller, and I can't imagine any repeat business. Bottled under screw cap.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: 2005 Pegovino Cotes Du Rhone Village

by Saina » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:36 am

I enjoyed the '06 Pegovino from Pays d'Oc. That was also under screwcap and also started out with some unpleasant, plastic notes. But I thought that was just some sort of reduction because just half an hour in a decanter made the wine perfectly fine. For 10€, I found it a very pleasant drink. Your's didn't clear up at all with time?

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:24 pm

Otto,

I wasn't very patient with the wine last night. After about 45 minutes it still had that unpleasant plastic note. I did recap the remainder and put it back in the cellar. I will give it another try tonight and see with there is a change for the better.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:39 pm

Sam-
FWIW, One of the shops opened this wine and were raving about it as well. Guess I'm not the excitable type, but I wasn't at all enthused about it...don't recall the specifics, but wholely forgetable IMO.
Hope you were able to stock up on some ESJ.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:34 pm

BIll,

It may have been the same shop that recommended the wine to me. Perhaps they over bought.

I did grab a few ESJ's. Haven't uncorked one yet, but am looking forward to it.
Sam

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:33 pm

Sam Platt wrote:BIll,

It may have been the same shop that recommended the wine to me. Perhaps they over bought.

I did grab a few ESJ's. Haven't uncorked one yet, but am looking forward to it.

Sam,

I guess Phillip is now gone from there. Haven't been able to figure out if the new guy knows his stuff or not...he certainly is enthusiastic. I'm thinking of opening the 2005 Parmelee-Hill Syrah this evening, but I'm soooo sore from staining the deck this morning, some higher octane scotch may be my drug of choice. :)
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:50 pm

Bill,

I believe the Phillip is planning to open his new venture before Thanksgiving. We met the new "Phillip" once and he seemed to be nice enough. I don't know how his palate runs at this point.

Bet your deck looks great.
Sam