The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Colio Estate Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2007 Colio Estate Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:57 pm

12.8% alc./vol.; $9.35 at the Colio retail outlet. 2,200 cases made. Synthetic cork closure.

Beautiful, deep dark garnet colour throughout; fully transparent with a magenta-garnet tinge at the meniscus. Fantastic, complex Baco nose of brine and peppercorns, with secondary plum and cherry fruit. Properly rustic with tell-tale hickory notes chiming in. Tart entry balanced by 2 g/l residual sugar (they could have left it at 0 and I'd have been happy); overall, a substantial texture. I expect the wine to open up and integrate to a much greater degree on day two - it always does. Very balanced on the mid-palate, where diminutive tannins - proper to the variety - mingle alongside flavour replays that are consistent with the nose. Warm, balanced, pleasant finish. A tiny hint of something brett-like remains in the empty glass.

This wine, labeled under "Colio Estate", is essentially the evolution of Carlo Negri's former Harrow Estates label. The new winemaker is Tim Reilly.

As with the Harrow Estates line, which no longer exists, this Baco shows tremendous value for the money and solid winemaking. This has always been one of the best Ontario Bacos for the money. It's a restrained, balanced wine that works extremely well at the table: pork roast, ribs, pizza and lasagna are but a few favourites with which I enjoy matching it.

There is just one thing that I wish the new line had included: oak ageing! When Carlo Negri was in charge of these wines, they always featured a dash of American oak - something that I thought made them all the better. Now, the wines are simply finished in stainless steel and bottled. I have written to the winery and hope that they will reconsider this new policy of omitting the oak nuance.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2007 Colio Estate Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:46 am

Being the #2 BN fan here, thanks for this write-up. Must try to track down. BTW H of P BN `06 is here

Bob
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: 2007 Colio Estate Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Bob,

My pleasure. If you can find the Colio Estate Baco, I think you'll agree that it offers great value for the dollar. The wine is always superb on day two after being opened, as well: some time in the open bottle aerates it suitably and lets it all come together.

All the best on this Thanksgiving weekend, Bob! We have a balmy 20ºC here with gorgeous blue sunny skies.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca