The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two from Mendocino

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Two from Mendocino

by Florida Jim » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:31 am

2001 Copian, Pinot Noir Dennison Vineyard:
Shy aromatics that expand somewhat with air; cranberry and milk chocolate on the palate with some minerality and a touch of spice; easy textures, solid acidity and good intensity but not showing any development; medium finish. The 1999 of this bottling may have been the most impressive wine from Mendocino I have tasted but this comes up short – maybe that’s why Wells decided not to take the fruit after 2001.

2003 Edmunds St. John, Redneck 101:
All Eagle Point Ranch fruit and 14.6% abv; not for the faint of heart – big-assed aromas of jam with some southern Rhône-type accents; jam in the mouth, too, and a mouth feel more akin to Jack and coke than table wine; intense, concentrated, very powerful and pretty good length. Too much size, jam and booze for me but this is not without its attractions – it shows no wood, never goes over into a milk-shake texture and even has some complexity.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two from Mendocino

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:35 am

I guess I am not surprised the 101 is a little big for your taste. I'm having grilled burgers tonight, so might have to open one of my bottles. Seems like the perfect wine for grilling.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: WTN: Two from Mendocino

by Florida Jim » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:01 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I guess I am not surprised the 101 is a little big for your taste. I'm having grilled burgers tonight, so might have to open one of my bottles. Seems like the perfect wine for grilling.

Yep, just keep it away from open flame.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars