The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Rhones in search of Pol Roger

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

WTN: Two Rhones in search of Pol Roger

by Jeff_Dudley » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:19 pm

At last, I hit ol' 53, benefits being that our little family opens the cellar to let each of us pick anything special to accompany dinner.

1985 Verset Cornas
My brother Greg's choice and I'm not complaining. At all. Served with Dawn's roast hen with stuffing of cranberry, mushroom and quinoa. The nose roars open with camphor, hot copper, hickory smoke, nutmeg, raspberry, old leather coat, thyme, old VW beetle horsehar seat stuffing, then apples. I could nurse this along forever just for the aroma, but we do eventually polish it off before midnight. What a bulldog this is. Bottle #4 of 4, for $13.95 from the cold room at Larry's, Seattle circa 1991.

1983 Guigal Cote Rotie La Mouline
My choice, served with my potage, a carrot-barley-beef shank. Let the wine speak. We probably could have served this first. A nice greyhound-like counterpoint to the Verset, here it's the mouthfeel featured, which is all I ever want from the La Mouline bottling. The nose is always a nice bonus, tonight it's picking up the bay leaf from the soup nicely. There's a balance, a harmony , and a long finish. A superb wine of decaying delicacy, probably evolved a bit past what most tasters prefer in C-R. My style entirely. Bottle #1 of 1 for $67.99, from The Wine House, Los Angeles circa 1990.

1996 Pol Roger Brut Chardonnay
Dawn's choice, served with Greg's dish of Carmello's French loaf, figs and piece of St Nectaire. This is still very young stuff, a tangy devil that could use more time open and be a bit warmer. A freshening cool breeze moves us back to the house; this bottle warms up a bit and relaxes - as do we.

Life is good. My birthday present is a surprise, receiving renewed license to ummm, refresh the cellar with an occasional treasure. I guess I'll see you all on David Bueker's Wine Probation thread if restraint is not balanced with the enthusiasm.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Two Rhones in search of Pol Roger

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:25 pm

Jeff_Dudley wrote:1985 Verset CornasWhat a bulldog this is..

Glad you got some nicely aged wines into the festivities. I was similarly impressed and pleased with a bottle of this earlier this summer.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTN: Two Rhones in search of Pol Roger

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:39 pm

Happy Birthday, Jeff. Sounds like a great evening!

I love the older Cote Roties that I've had.