The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Noceto ShenandoahVlly Sangiovese '94..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Noceto ShenandoahVlly Sangiovese '94..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Susan & I tried this Fri night w/ out pasta al forno:
1. Noveto Sangiovese ShenandoahVlly/Calif (13.5%; 5th vintage; 1500 cs) 1994: Bit murky some browning/bricked color; slightly old/tired bit cedary/pencilly some dried rose petal/old Chianti interesting nose; soft interesting dried rose petal/cedary/pencilly bit dried cherries some pencilly/old Zin slightly dried out/tannic flavor; med.lonng dried rose petal/dried cherries some old Zin/pencilly bit tired finish; a bit on the tired side but some pretty interesting things there in, especially on the palate. $25.00
1. I was expecting thise wine to be dead & gone. It was not. It had been stored neck-down and the one day upright was not enough for it to settle clear, so it was still a bit murky/cloudy. It smelled a bit like a tired/old Zin, but one the palate it had some old Chianti character and was still a pleasure to drink, especially w/ the tomatoey pasta.
This winery was started by Jim & Suzy Gullett. I've followed them from the very start, when DarrellCorti suggested I might want to check them out. Alas, I've not been keeping on top of what they're doing and need to remedy that.
I was expecting this wine to have some of that raisened/pruney character old Amador Zins can oft show. Shows that you can harvest your grapes earlier than usual and still make good wines. Gads...the thought of it...you maybe don't need physiological ripeness after all!!
Tom