The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chateau Bonnet Entre-Deux-Mers 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Chateau Bonnet Entre-Deux-Mers 2005

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:15 pm

Andre Lurton
A blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon.

Moderate yellow-gold in the glass.

Gentle nose, grassy, with lovely pear.

Thick, creamy and soft in the mouth, pear, tangy green apple, good acidity, fresh, clean and delicious.

Mouthwatering, tangy green apple on the finish.

This is one of the wines I have purchased since I started out on my wine journey. I don't really know why, but, after a number of years, the LCBO in Ontario has decided to stop carrying it. A real shame.

Purchased at $13.05 (Canadian).

Screwcap closure.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Chateau Bonnet Entre-Deux-Mers 2005

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:20 pm

I've seen this wine in a thousand places, but never tried it. (fear of Sauvignon Blanc)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I've seen this wine in a thousand places, but never tried it. (fear of Sauvignon Blanc)

Bonnet's white is one of the most reliable and perhaps the best value in white Bordeaux. It is not your run-of-the-mill Sauv Blancy tartness kind of white Bordeaux - it has actual depth and character. If you like white Bordeaux at all, there is no way you won't like Bonnet. Here's my note for the same wine, plus the 2006:

Chateau Bonnet, Entre-Deux-Mers 2005
An example of just how good and consistent the vintage is. Soft, fresh, and vibrant, with citrus, honey, flowers, and melon. Very nice. Very Good (85 -87) [4/28/07]

Chateau Bonnet, Entre-Deux-Mers 2006
Citrus, apple, honey, and fig. Nice acidity, and with enough depth to avoid being 'just another white.' Bonnet's whites seem to be quite reliable. Around $10, and a very good value. 50% Sauvignon, 40% Semillon, 10% Muscadelle. Very Good / Excellent (86 - 88). [5/23/08]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:52 am

I'm not a fan of the Bonnet rouge, but the blanc is a safe value often found on restaurant lists. Thanks for notes.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:26 am

i love the '06 bonnet. classic stuff in both cepage and flavor. not the usual overly cold fermented bubble gum style at all. and great acid. should last for many years. the '05 was good but the acid gives the '06 that extra zip. not fond of the '07.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:32 pm

David Creighton wrote:i love the '06 bonnet. classic stuff in both cepage and flavor. not the usual overly cold fermented bubble gum style at all. and great acid. should last for many years. the '05 was good but the acid gives the '06 that extra zip. not fond of the '07.

David, are you speaking of the white, or the red?
Bob Henrick