The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 L. Jadot "Combe Aux Jacques" Beaujolais-Villages

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2007 L. Jadot "Combe Aux Jacques" Beaujolais-Villages

by Paul B. » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:13 pm

Having recently discussed the merits of this wine in this earlier thread, I decided to go and get some more.

Picked it up at Vintages for $17.95.

A very comfortable, decent 12.5% alc./vol. Beautiful, saturated clear-dark garnet with a cherry hue all throughout. Ethereal wild strawberries on the nose with light hints of beef broth and spice - very appetizing. Pleasantly dry and crisp on the entry with a good puckery texture; lovely interplay between acidity, tannin and the peppery spice. Well balanced; light-to-medium-bodied, cleansing and dry. Wonderful with the Thanksgiving turkey, and it would work just as well with pretty much any food. A very pleasant Gamay and a nice change of pace from the usual heavier stuff.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2007 L. Jadot "Combe Aux Jacques" Beaujolais-Villages

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:58 am

Paul B. wrote: A very pleasant Gamay and a nice change of pace from the usual heavier stuff.

Heavier stuff as in bigger Beaujolais or your other usual fare? I have little insight into 2007 Beaujolais, so that's what prompts the question.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: 2007 L. Jadot "Combe Aux Jacques" Beaujolais-Villages

by Paul B. » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:19 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Heavier stuff as in bigger Beaujolais or your other usual fare?

David,

Most definitely my other usual fare. I'm a Pinotage guy; besides that I tend to prefer chunkier wines (Cab Sauvignon, though not from around here - too green); plus, the usual hybrid reds that are tart and lean but "big" in their own way.

I really like this Beaujolais because of the nice tannin. We have quite a bit of Gamay here in Ontario but it has never really caught my fancy much. I find the Jadot example to have a fuller aromatic palette than our local Gamays.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca