The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Voga Pinot Grigio 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Voga Pinot Grigio 2006

by Bruce Hayes » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:37 am

Venoto
Enoitalia Spa

Very light yellow in the glass.

Floral, sickly sweet nose.

Juicy apricot, peach, oddly floral, some candided sweetness, a bitter bite toward the end. Barely acceptable and sort of icky.

This was a gift, although I see that it retails for $13.85 (Canadian), which is a real shame since there are so many PG that taste so much better at this price range and cheaper.

The wine is sold in a distinctive cylindrical bottle, which resembles an aerosol can. I guess this is meant to appeal to those who buy wine based on the packaging.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: WTN: Voga Pinot Grigio 2006

by Ryan M » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:54 pm

I had one of their reds last month. Not-at-all bad:

Voga, Quattro, Sicilia IGT 2005
This is a blend of (are you ready for this?) Cab Sauv, Merlot, Pinot Noir, and Syrah. Clearly an attempt to cash in on the appeal of the 'Cal-Rhone' style blends. Cherry upfront, followed by a touch of soft red berry (that might suggest the Pinot), then Shirazy plum, and currants (from the two Bordelais), with a finish of white pepper and Cab Sauv / Merlot - style structure. With all of that, a touch of tomato paste, orange rind, and generous acidity that that hints at its Italian provenance. The white pepper does perhaps hint that's it's Sicilian. Very fruity and extracted - reminds you strongly of California or Australia. The fruit mellowed a bit the second day and it tasted much more Italian. Definitely a nice wine, and worth it's under $10 price tag, but not if you're looking for something that tastes Italian. Very Good Excellent (86 - 88). [9/6/08]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)