The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Ravenswood Todd Vineyard Zinfandel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2005 Ravenswood Todd Vineyard Zinfandel

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:17 am

My friends Donna and Joe had me over for our weekly dinner/Millenium video evening. Donna outdid herself this week, with an amazing shortribs dish brazed in German beer and served with saffron polenta. I brought over the 2002 Beaulieu George de la Tour Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (see Wine Focus) and the 2005 Ravenswood Todd Vineyard Zinfandel. Only 700 cases made, and I think I lucked out by stopping at the tasting room on the days after release. I am not a big Zin drinker, and I know Ravenswood is not as renowned as they once were, but this wine just sang with the short ribs

Dark cherry color with crytalline ruby rim. Nose of cherry, berry, and a hint of black pepper. Oak not evident. Despite the high alcohol (15.7% nominal!), not fumey at all on the nose. On the palate, mouth watering acidity. Bright cherry berry fruit. The black pepper that was so dominant last year at the winery tasting is still present but not as strong. What really impressed me with this wine was the delicious food friendly acidity and the lightness on the feet-one of my favorite Zinfadels, frankly, that I've had. The wine simply meshed remarkably well with the shortribs dish-especially the hint of sweetness in the glaze on the meat. We really, really enjoyed the Cabernet after dinner, but the Zinfandel was the dinner wine!

91 points. Outstanding.

Also this weekend, I tried a West Sonoma County bicycle ride. When riding through Graton (north of Sebastapol), I noticed a sign for Taft Street. Have to admit I was impressed! They are a small, negociant style winery (no vineyards) that seem to have a very elegant house style. Their basic Sonoma Coast Pinot was deliciously earthy, with a silky texture that was outstanding. Only 14.1% abv, too! And, the really amazing thing-$20. They also had a quite light and elegant berry-fruited zinfandel and a quite light, high acidity Sonoma Coast Syrah that could pass for a Northern Rhone. (For $16!)

Anyone herad of Taft Street? They started as a garage winery in Berkeley, and I liked the entire lineup! Not a wine was over $35!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Awwwww, Brian...

by TomHill » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:55 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Also this weekend, I tried a West Sonoma County bicycle ride. When riding through Graton (north of Sebastapol), I noticed a sign for Taft Street. Have to admit I was impressed! They are a small, negociant style winery (no vineyards) that seem to have a very elegant house style. Their basic Sonoma Coast Pinot was deliciously earthy, with a silky texture that was outstanding. Only 14.1% abv, too! And, the really amazing thing-$20. They also had a quite light and elegant berry-fruited zinfandel and a quite light, high acidity Sonoma Coast Syrah that could pass for a Northern Rhone. (For $16!)

Awwww, Brian.....there are laws against this kind of thing. It's called DWI. :-)
I rode the Solvang Cenrury several yrs in a row and one of the most frustrating parts was driving by all these wineries and tasting rooms
and not being able to stop in and sample. But you gotta keep the pedal to the metal on a Century. One year, they even had a rest stop on the grounds of FessParker/FrassCanyon Winery. All those folks sitting there drinking their wine and snacking on goodies and rather bemused by all us bikers on our last legs, tongues hanging out, choking down a banana or a PowerBar. Downright cruel of the race organizers to do this to us, I thought.
Beautiful country up there for a bike ride. Trust the hills were gentle and the wind always a tail wind??

Only had a few TaftStreet wines over the yrs, but have liked them and thought them reasonable values. I'll have to track down that Syrah...sounds like a Texier-style one.
And tales of Ravenswood's death are premature. Loads of Vintner'sBlend being churned out, but the vnyd designate Zins are still pretty solid IMHO.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2005 Ravenswood Todd Vineyard Zinfandel

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:25 pm

Just one stop, Tom. Bicycling in Western Sonoma County, one cannot stop, because unlike flat easy Napa Valley, the ride involves roller after steep roller after steep roller. DUIs aside, the Sebastopol area is a challenge when utterly sober.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach