The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bandol on the Run

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Bandol on the Run

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:23 pm

Business trip to France...opportunity to eat at Willi's Wine Bar in Paris...no time for pen and paper...all I need is a pint a day...if I ever get out of here...

2004 Chateau Pibarnon Bandol
This was not nearly as forbidding as I expected. Lots of ripe red and black fruit, just a hint of the herbal notes that speak to Southern France for me. Very enjoyable, especially with the beef course, but also a good partner for some of the harder cheeses that I had afterwards. Where's the tannin?

...and the first one said to the second one there I hope you're having fun...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

Re: WTN: Bandol on the Run

by Michael K » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:58 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2004 Chateau Pibarnon Bandol
This was not nearly as forbidding as I expected. Lots of ripe red and black fruit, just a hint of the herbal notes that speak to Southern France for me. Very enjoyable, especially with the beef course, but also a good partner for some of the harder cheeses that I had afterwards. Where's the tannin?

Was this a glass or did you have a bottle? If it was a glass, it might have been opened for a while.
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:30 pm

A lyrical review for a lyrical wine.

Very interesting that tannin is so absent and the fruit so forward, for a (presumably mouvedre-laden) Bandol. The vintage pattern for '04 was sort of this way in the Rhone. I think I'm jealous, I usually have to wait a looooooong time to enjoy much from a Bandol.

Dawn is humming "Mamunia", now look what you've started. 8)
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:58 am

Michael K wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:2004 Chateau Pibarnon Bandol

Was this a glass or did you have a bottle? If it was a glass, it might have been opened for a while.

Two glasses from a freshly opened (in front of me) bottle.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:15 am

In my limited experience, Château Pibarnon make a more elegant style of Bandol which shows better young than the tougher wines of the likes of Tempier. This makes Pibarnon all the rage with Parisian critics but I have yet to have one which moves me like a mature Tempier.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:18 am

Tim York wrote:In my limited experience, Château Pibarnon make a more elegant style of Bandol which shows better young than the tougher wines of the likes of Tempier. This makes Pibarnon all the rage with Parisian critics but I have yet to have one which moves me like a mature Tempier.

You've had a mature Tempier? Isn't that like a mature Gouges or mature Dunn; things talked about but never experienced.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:27 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
You've had a mature Tempier? Isn't that like a mature Gouges or mature Dunn; things talked about but never experienced.

Indeed I have. A vertical going well into the 80s a few years ago ( I will try and did out my manuscript notes) and quite recently an excellent 97, an "easy" vintage, of course.

Gouges is an another thing. I had high hopes of a bottle of 69 with vineyard illegible but the bottle was corked!!
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:29 am

Interesting. I still have two bottles of 1994 from Tempier (a Tourtine and a Migoua), and might have to trot them out soon.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:13 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:You've had a mature Tempier?..talked about but never experienced.

A few months ago I thought the 88 La Migoua and La Tourtine were both pretty 'mature' to my tastes. Perhaps they could hold on for many years to come but I wasn't sure how much evolution there was to find. (That said, I had difficulties with the brett/reduction/funk whatever you want to call it).
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:04 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Interesting. I still have two bottles of 1994 from Tempier (a Tourtine and a Migoua), and might have to trot them out soon.

I have the 1994 Cabassau. If you ever get up this way we can do a Funky Offline..... :wink:
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi folks,

I agree that the '88 Tourtine and Miguoa are pretty well into development, at least as far as nose and flavor goes. Quite they were quite the little bottles of "greek olives stuck under band-aids on burned baseball mitts" too.Their complements from the '89 and '90 vintages (at last tasting in December 2004) were still much more comparatively structured, with only partial aromatic development. I'm waiting at least two more years before touching either of the '89 or '90 duos again.

Happily, I'm still working through the '85s, 83's and especially, the '81s. Yes, they do open up nicely to have terrific texture in the mouth, though I'll never mistake them for a gentle wine from anywhere else.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin