The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Smoke gets in your wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

Smoke gets in your wine

by Jeff_Dudley » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:29 pm

The phone rings and a voice asks "Is that the most heavily-oaked Cote Rotie you've ever smelled ? Nope, it's the Chatsworth fire."

Well, at least my brother still has a sense of humor after evacuating his home in Box Canyon this afternoon. We are keeping all fingers crossed, perhaps somehow his home may escape the fire's path one more time, tonight. He won't sleep. His home cellar bested mine for quality. We got thirty cases out safely between my Passat and his MGB, but had to leave fifty more behind ...
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Smoke gets in your wine

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:32 pm

All hopes for a positive outcome. At least everyone is somewhere safe.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:09 pm

A good friend of mine lost his cellar (and home) to a house fire on New Year's Day this year. The insurance company researched it all and paid him current going rates for every bottle since he had replacement cost insurance on everything. Then they let him buy it all back at $1/bottle as salvage. He figured, why not? He's been opening them throughout the year, and some have been cooked, and some are oddly smoked, and some are just fine.

Here's hoping your brother never has to do that particular experiment.
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:43 pm

David, Thanks for your thoughts.

Cynthia, What a devastating loss for your friend, I'm so sorry; I hope there's some special solace for him/her found in those remaining good bottles. We're trying to find some right now among the cases we saved, but it's not the same thing - at all.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:06 pm

Jeff,

How are things tonight with your family?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:19 pm

Hi Dave

So far, so good for us, bad for other folks. :|

The winds changed some during the night and the leading edges of the fire pushed elsewhere through rough hilly canyons, heading towards the coastal ranges. So for now, my brother Greg's mid-ridgeline street has not been hit. But the fire is moving everywhere again now that winds are slowing. Evacuations are still on. It's a drought year here and currently 11% relative humidity at 71 deg F.

Life is good.

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:15 am

NWR:

Life, home and wine of my brother are OK. Image of fires taken by satellite on Monday is available here ...

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/fires ... 81014.html

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:58 am

Yipee!! That's wonderful news.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:39 am

Jeff_Dudley wrote:The phone rings and a voice asks "Is that the most heavily-oaked Cote Rotie you've ever smelled ? Nope, it's the Chatsworth fire."

That remark is a real classic for a moment of severe stress. I am glad to hear that your brother is well and that his home and wines are intact.

With forest fire and earthquake risks, Southern California seems a more precarious place than many. I have resisted pressure to move to Provence partly because of similar risks.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:54 am

Maybe living in Tornado Alley isn't so bad after all. Glad to hear that your brother's place is ok, Jeff.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:27 am

Tim, Provence ? Dangers there ? Maybe Bandol-overdose ! Just teasing, I thought Provence a real paradise from our only visit there. If they have quakes and fires I can appreciate your perspective.

Robert, I dunno if I'd pick up roots to come here either ! We left lost a condo in '92 on Kawaii. Now these fires and earthquakes keep coming here. Maybe now it's time to move on to, ummm, ummm, lesseeee.... Nawwww, I have too much wine to move anywhere right now.

David, A positive outcome of this event is that I have decided to put more wine up for sale with a local merchant. Our backs are keeeeeeling us from moving those boxes twice in a week. Gettin' too old for this. 8)

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:20 pm

Jeff_Dudley wrote:Tim, Provence ? Dangers there ? Maybe Bandol-overdose ! Just teasing, I thought Provence a real paradise from our only visit there. If they have quakes and fires I can appreciate your perspective.

Jeff, Provence is a paradise and Bandol/Trévallon/Château Simone overdose is a big risk even here. More seriously, there are bad forest fires there nearly every year mostly of criminal origin. The last serious earthquake was in 1909 and Menton was devastated by one in 1887, which dates straddle the bad one in San Francisco. They are probably about due for another one.
Tim York