The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Hard Pressed Wines Syrah, El Dorado County

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

WTN: 2005 Hard Pressed Wines Syrah, El Dorado County

by Howie Hart » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:18 am

During Sunday’s Chat Session, I asked the gallery what wine I should serve with a family dinner of pot roast and Syrah was recommended. I seldom by Syrah, but looked around my assortment of “store-bought” wines and found this bottle, made by Mike Filigenzi, which he sent to me last year. Synthetic cork. Deep color with slight purplish tinge. Blackberry and black pepper on the nose with a touch of leather. Full, medium-long finish, with good acidity. Excellent match with the dinner. However, it didn’t last long enough so I opened a bottle of my ’07 Cab Franc/Merlot blend, which was an adequate follow-up to finish the dinner. Through a home-winemaking website I frequent, we had an exchange of home made wines, so for dessert, I served a Muscato Port, which I received from another participant. I believe it was made from a kit, but, while not “Port” like, it was a well made dessert wine – very fruity with good acid balance and medium finish.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.