The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: another Laroche (Chile) Chard & Dão Quinta de Sães

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: another Laroche (Chile) Chard & Dão Quinta de Sães

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:14 am

2006 Laroche (Chile) Punto Niño Chardonnay Reserva Colchagua Valley 14% Brazil price US$21
Another Chilean chardonnay from Michel Laroche. I liked this better than the higher end (US$ 33) Punto Alto tasted the other day. Soft and lovely wood aroma with tropical accents, hints of papaya and persimmon. Excellent acid/fruit balance, good body, touch of caramel. Very nice. If this were bottled under screwcap, I’d get a few to lay down, but it is inexplicably bottled under plastic cork, so no cigar. While the more expensive Punto Alto was closer to Chablis, this was closer to Côte d’Or.

2005 Quinta de Sães Dão 13%
A lower level entry from Quinta da Pellada, a blend of touriga nacional, tinta pinheira, jaen and alfrocheiro. Dark cherry aromas with musk and cloves. Light tannins, alcohol very well integrated, quite tasty. Very nice, especially for the price (under $10 outside Brazil). Only a slight syrupy note and a less satisfying mid-palate prevented me from liking this as much as the Dão Alvaro Castro, by the same enologist.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.