The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Vegan wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

Vegan wine

by Ed Draves » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:32 pm

I had a customer ask today about Vegan wine. Are there any good recources on Vegan wine? Do any of the winemakers here consider their wines Vegan? Any help is appreciated.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: Vegan wine

by Brian Gilp » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:10 pm

Vegan is difficult. Most of the vegans that I have known through the years will not consider a wine vegan if it has been finned with annimal products. Since each wine/vintage may be treated differently it is difficult to provide guidances without knowning the specifics of each individual bottling. Therefore, the vegans that I know rarely rely on information that producer X is vegan since it is possible that the one wine they pick up is the one that is not vegan. Instead most will contact the winery directly to determine (if possible) which bottlings are vegan.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Of course finning is only done with fish...

Fining can be done with things other than egg whites (the most common IIRC), but by going with unfined/unfiltered wines you stand a better chance of meeting persnickity vegan requirements.

Personally I cannot imagine a vegan actually enjoying wine. It's a beverage of pleasure, and I have yet to meet a happy vegan (sample size around 10-12).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:32 pm

Ed Draves wrote:I had a customer ask today about Vegan wine. Are there any good recources on Vegan wine? Do any of the winemakers here consider their wines Vegan? Any help is appreciated.

Vegans? You need a better class of customer! (Says an unrepentant meat eater!)
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:47 pm

Thanks for all the help (and smiles as well)
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:48 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Personally I cannot imagine a vegan actually enjoying wine. It's a beverage of pleasure, and I have yet to meet a happy vegan (sample size around 10-12).

Heh-heh... :)

Hey, even bentonite fining could be construed as non-vegan, since didn't it come from prehistoric little animals?
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:59 am

If I were vegan (or vegetarian) I'd be more concerned about MOG in the ferment rather than fining residues. So I would be looking for wines made from hand harvested grapes and/or grapes that are carefully sorted. And good fining and filtering I suppose, to remove any remaining bits of critters.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:59 am

Since both me and my wife were ovo-lacto for over a decade we have met many vegans. Vegans like all people come in many different types. Some are even happy people that enjoy food and beverage. Most vegans are generally only concerned with the animal based fining products. This is out of ignorance of how wine is made. Most had no idea that wine was not vegan until they learned it might not be from a vegan source (book, internet, friend). Most of the vegan resources will discuss fining products and how they are used in wine making. I don't recall ever seeing anything in vegan literature about MOG or the potential use of refined sugar and as such most vegans don't even worry about such.

To make matters worse there are some vegans that will accept the use of fining products since it is not part of the bottled product. When dealing with a vegan it is difficult to know both their level of knowledge about the product and what they consider acceptable.

So like I said before most serious vegans will try to call the winery direct and determine what they can. Those that are not so serious just want to be told that the wine is O.K. so they can drink it without guilt.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:49 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Of course finning is only done with fish...

Fining can be done with things other than egg whites (the most common IIRC), but by going with unfined/unfiltered wines you stand a better chance of meeting persnickity vegan requirements.

Personally I cannot imagine a vegan actually enjoying wine. It's a beverage of pleasure, and I have yet to meet a happy vegan (sample size around 10-12).

I know a vegan who loves wine--throws ideology out the window when she wants a glass...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:02 am

Don't tell that to Otto. :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:22 am

Vegan wine? I think I'd prefer some Rigellian Spice Wine.

I suppose Klingon Bloodwine would be a no-no?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:31 am

Romulan Ale?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:21 pm

Ed Draves wrote:I had a customer ask today about Vegan wine. Are there any good recources on Vegan wine? Do any of the winemakers here consider their wines Vegan? Any help is appreciated.

Ed, did you ask your customer to explain what they meant by vegan wine? And did they require any evidence of such?

There's such ignorance and so many silly stories about wine. They may have been thinking of these stories circulated about blood being used in winemaking, for instance.

If they wanted a biodynamic wine, for instance, they could have the choice between one made biodynamically, and one made and certified as such by an independent body.

I think without knowing what they mean by vegan you can't hope to meet their needs.

I suspect tho', that any of the big brand wines would suit as issinglass or eggwhites are used by smaller 'craft' wineries. The big boys used filters or bentonite.
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:27 pm

MOG from machine harvested grapes can include birds, mice, 'possums, snakes, various bugs and other flavoring elements, sometimes quite finely diced.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:51 pm

Alan Wolfe wrote:MOG from machine harvested grapes can include birds, mice, 'possums, snakes, various bugs and other flavoring elements, sometimes quite finely diced.

Makes a whole new meaning for 'flavor crystals'!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:56 pm

Alan Wolfe wrote:MOG from machine harvested grapes can include birds, mice, 'possums, snakes, various bugs and other flavoring elements, sometimes quite finely diced.

I've got news!

Must made from hand picked grapes is also full of insects. Just try and keep the wasps out of the containers of freshly picked grapes waiting to go into the crusher destemmer or into the fermenting tanks.

Harvest is no time for the fatidious to be visiting a winery.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:14 pm

What does "MOG" mean?

There is some truth to the "wine made with blood" story. Albumen protein from blood has been used in the past as a fining agent. The mad cow scare put paid to that practice in the EU and I think it's illegal in the USA as well.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:26 pm

And what about fruit flies? Their larvae are probably pressed right into the juice...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:16 pm

But fining can also be done with fish.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:21 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:What does "MOG" mean?

Matter Other than Grapes
The stuff that falls in
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:19 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:...Personally I cannot imagine a vegan actually enjoying wine. It's a beverage of pleasure, and I have yet to meet a happy vegan (sample size around 10-12).

Absolutely hilarious, and unfortunately so true for our sample size of 6. Thought it was just an L.A. kinda thing to be so healthy, self-righteous and unhappy about it.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:00 pm

Jeff_Dudley wrote:Absolutely hilarious, and unfortunately so true for our sample size of 6. Thought it was just an L.A. kinda thing to be so healthy, self-righteous and unhappy about it.

Come to think of it, me too. They act like born again whatevers. They treat meat like temperance treated booze.

You chow down on something not on the Vegan approved list and they come out with things like "So I see you are not worried about getting cancer." or "Do you have any idea what you are doing to your body?"

If they are so damned healthy, why must they be so bloody proselytic? I don't try to sell them on the virtues of steak tartare, and I wish that they would STFU on matters of diet as well.
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:27 am

Hopefully this is tongue in cheek, not blinders in brain.

Personally I cannot imagine a vegan actually enjoying wine. It's a beverage of pleasure, and I have yet to meet a happy vegan (sample size around 10-12)

Please use war and killing to solve all of our problems. Kindness is too boring, maybe this is why I enjoy wine. I need to go see something suffer taa taa.

Sincerely,

Non-vegan Vegetarian
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:45 am

Rod,

I won't speak for the others, but yes for me; the humor is tongue-in-cheek here. I am serious though about my observation of my vegan friends' commonality of behavior in this one aspect. There's an "aggresively contemptous self righteousness" conveyed towards nonvegans, at least about health and food, that's common to each six folks I know who follow this diet style. I see it, whether it's communicated to us non-vegans intentionally or not.

Yep, that's it and I do forgive them for this discourtesy; after all, It's very likely that their incomplete diet causes it.

Very sincerely,

Human
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
Next