The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Vegan wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

Re: Vegan wine

by Ed Draves » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:28 am

Again, thanks for the information. The guy seems quite pleasant and I'm looking forward to meeting him face to face. Learning about this has been a great experience and the humor has been great.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:04 am

Rod Miller wrote:Hopefully this is tongue in cheek, not blinders in brain.

Personally I cannot imagine a vegan actually enjoying wine. It's a beverage of pleasure, and I have yet to meet a happy vegan (sample size around 10-12)

Please use war and killing to solve all of our problems. Kindness is too boring, maybe this is why I enjoy wine. I need to go see something suffer taa taa.

Sincerely,

Non-vegan Vegetarian

50-50 on tongue in cheek. I do know about 10 vegans through work & they are all completely unpleasant. Maybe they just hate work, but wow I am not talking garden variety grouchy, just really dour and tough folks to deal with. Of course my favorite part is that 4 of them are serious smokers, so that cannot be helping.

And Rod - if I actually had access easy to high quality fruits and vegetable year round (instead of just June-October) I might be darned close to vegetarian.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:56 pm

It is true that vegans have to work at eating a balanced diet. It is not easy, which is where some of the frustration comes from. Particularly on the east coast there are few supportive retailers and restaurants. Plus, as evidenced by the conversation here our community shows disdain for people with a commitment to making the world a better place for all creatures. If you get a chance to listen to the lectures about solving poverty by Jeffery Sachs http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2007/lecture1.shtml it is surprising how cynical people are about those trying to improve the world.

Having said this there is a great contradiction about peace activists who get so angry that they hit their opponents with their signs. Here the Buddha's teaching about the middle way is useful. We can never expect the world to be peaceful if we cannot find compassion and peace in our own hearts.

The middle way applies to wine. Not too acid, sweet, tannic, or fruitless aroma.

Cheers Vegans...Have a glass on me.
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Rod Miller wrote: Plus, as evidenced by the conversation here our community shows disdain for people with a commitment to making the world a better place for all creatures.

Disdain is way too far. I find it a curious choice but everyone is entitled. I'm also not so fond of what your comment implies about non-vegans.

The steaks are on me Rod.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:18 pm

I have no problem with someone choosing to live a vegan lifestyle. What I have a serious issue with are those vegans/animal rightists who try to force their lifestyle/beliefs on me, and as David said, imply that those of us who eat meat, hunt and fish are somehow non-caring about our world.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:43 pm

"... our community shows disdain for people with a commitment to making the world a better place for all... "

Rod,

What an unusual quasi-political connection you're attempting here to weave here. You've used this thread about vegan wine attributes, vegan diet and a few jocular observations of behavior, to go to a whole different place. You see some implied higher-valued lifestyle of Vegans attempting to do good, a presumed abandonment of human duty of non-vegans in doing good and solving poverty, and you decry the isolation of Vegans from others who do not share your political outlook.

OK, I'm hearing you, you're passionate about this, if in a rather hair-shirt fervent style. I do wish good luck to you with your goals. Success can be elusive, my friend.

Please be also ready to acknowledge that many of the people whose diet follows largely vegan guidelines are not necessarily subscribers to any concomitant socio-economic and political points of view of the Veganism you've hinted at here. I'm composing this note to you with two of such people at the keyboard right now. We want you to know that they just wanted to eat more heathily and think thay are doing so. If it bothers you that they think of themselves as only dietary vegans, try accepting it as a compliment, not as an enlistment or association in any Vegan cause.

We are going back to food and wine-related stuff. Now, are those organic peppers stuffed yet ? Where's that bottle of zinfandel, Gad, the Riesling's not in the fridge yet ?
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:23 am

I share that dietary taste. The mixed bio-dynamic greens and Cannellini bean minestrone is tasting great with walnut wheat sourdough bread and a Cooper 06 Viognier.
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
Previous