The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Ürziger Würzgarten

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

Ürziger Würzgarten

by Jim Brennan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:01 am

Any thoughts on the quality of the properties for Loosen, Monchhoff, Christoffel, and Merkelbach in Ürziger Würzgarten? Are they well-placed for each, marginal, etc? I know there are other smaller producers in the area... are any of them noteworthy and worth seeking-out?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Ürziger Würzgarten

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:51 am

I do not think you need to be terribly concerned with the specific parcels within the Urziger Wurzgarten right now. You're really talking about 4 producers with 4 dramatically different styles of wine (though recent Chrsitoffels are much closer to Monchof due to common management).

I think they are going to do fleurbereinigung in the near future, and that could have an impact even beyond them all ending up with lots of young vines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

by Jim Brennan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:18 pm

Sounds like any of those producers would be interesting to try.

I've gotten increasingly interested in riesling, but haven't had many Ur Wurz (in the Mosel I've tended to sample from Graach and Wehlen mostly, to date), so I'm just trying to get a sense of what to sample. Premier Cru has some 375s of 2001 Loosen Ur Wurz Auslese GKA that seem like a reasonable start for $27.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:32 pm

Jim Brennan wrote:I've gotten increasingly interested in riesling, but haven't had many Ur Wurz (in the Mosel I've tended to sample from Graach and Wehlen mostly, to date)

That is a very focused comparison of Middle Mosel. Not a bad way to learn.

Then you might want to branch out to other regions just to highlight the differences.

Enjoy!
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

by Jim Brennan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:07 pm

I wish I could say it was the result of a well-considered plan... but, mostly, it's just that the local shops carry plenty of JJ Prum, Willi Schaefer, Selbach-Oster, and a bit of Kees-Kieren and Kerpen.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:51 am

I am not sure that gold capsule auslese is the best way to learn the nuances of the Urziger Wurzgraten, especially if the wine is only 7 years old. Seen any spatlese?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

by Jim Brennan » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:01 pm

Yes... so that's more of really an opportunity purchase... seems like a good producer, good year, nice price... I have some things on order that have come in from PC, but I've got space left to add some bottles to the shipment... and this gives me an excuse to start looking for kabinett and spatlese bottlings to explore in that part of the Mosel.