The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bdx, Burgs, and Champagne with Alex R

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams NY

Rank

Just got here

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:17 am

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC suburbs)

WTN: Bdx, Burgs, and Champagne with Alex R

by Dale Williams NY » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:33 am

A few NY area wine geeks got together last night to welcome Alex R , visting from Bordeaux, and Patrick M, flying in from Colorado. We gathered at La Sirene in SoHo, Management kindly let us order off the early bird prix fixe though we were later, food was good but I think next time I'll order a la carte again. I did enjoy my onion soup and duck liver salad.

Opener was a bubbly from Jeff, the NV Jacquesson No. 730. I loved the 728 & 729, and initially thought this a bit of a disappointment. Not a lot of fruit, not a lot of breadiness, not a lot of anything. But air helped a lot, and a glass later was tasty even when warm - leesy, nutty, with "apple betty" fruit. B-/C+ cold, B warm (I'm betting if well-aired and cold it would be even better).

1993 Morey-Coffinet "Les Caillerets" Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
A little reticent at first, this opened nicely. Fairly typical for the vintage, with high but for my tastes balanced acidity. Full-bodied, pear fruit with nuts and mineral notes, just a little oak still apparent. This was last one, showing better than about 5 years ago, I'd say drink up, but no hurry. B+

2004 Rene & Vincent Dauvissat "Sechet" Chablis 1er
This was also really in a shell at first. Acids and a funny cheesy note were all I got. After a while some Granny Smith and lemon notes. I never got much minerality here, but probably a function of its youth. B?

1989 Comte Armand "Clos des Epeneaux" Pommard 1er Cru
At Ian's request I had grabbed this at last minute instead of a '70 Canon. Worried the warm vintage and the Armand style might have led to an early demise, but this was quite lively and even young. Quite tannic, but with a solid body of black cherry and plum fruit, some earthiness, a little vanillin note. Develops a fairly plush texture with some time. I like, but can't help thinking a bit more acidic backbone would make this more elegant and delineated. I'll give it a B/B+, lovers of the style might rank a bit higher.

1989 L'Evangile (Pomerol)
This is a wine I loved before, and often kick myself for only getting a couple of bottles when CSW had at a good price few years ago. Despite less than optimal stemware (Chris kindly loaned me one, but also had to use restaurant stems, a bit more rudimentary than ones they had last time), with some air this showed class. Still young, ripe cassis and blackberry liqueur, a hint of saddle leather, some tannins. Needs time,but my red WOTN. Thanks Ian. B+/A-

1996 Lafon-Rochet (St Estephe)
Alas, corked!

1995 Haut-Bailly (Pessac-Leognan)
Continuing the theme of the night, tight and reticent at first. But one could sense the quality from the beginning, and it started to open up to a beautiful Graves. Red and black currants, a strong streak of ferric/gravel minerality, a touch of tobacco, medium bodied. Elegant Graves. Makes me wonder why I don't have more Haut Bailly. B+, with much upside.

1996 Gloria (St Julien)
I told Alex that Gloria (the '82) was first wine to make me really pay attention. I remember not being impressed by the '96 near release, but this has turned out nicely. Soft, round, ready. with dark plum fruit, mostly resolved tannins. B

2001 Nairac (Barsac)
I think this is my first ever Nairac. Lighter style of Sauternes, with that vivid 2001 acidity. Tropical fruit, a touch of vanilla, lighter edge of botrytis than some. Very nice. B+

Nice night, nice group, hope Patrick and Alex enjoy rest of their stay.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

Re: WTN: Bdx, Burgs, and Champagne with Alex R

by Matt Richman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:55 pm

Sorry I missed Alex...and the 89 L'Evangile, a beautiful wine.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:12 pm

Sorry you couldn't make it.
I thought this was a step behind the '89 Evangile we had at Triomphe withDavid W, but probably just difference in decanting.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:53 pm

Nice notes, Dale. A few comments:

NV Jacquesson No. 730
I remained disappointed with this wine the entire evening.

1993 Morey-Coffinet "Les Caillerets" Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Gunpowder and white cherries, sound acidity and a bit of wood (as you said), quite nice

2004 Rene & Vincent Dauvissat "Sechet" Chablis 1er
Muted lemon and cream, almost no rocks. Another disappointment.

1989 Comte Armand "Clos des Epeneaux" Pommard 1er Cru
Just as you say. I copied down two quotes on this wine:
"Shows the heat of the year too much" - Dale
"No bricking on the rim, tannins in the mouth; I'd be way off on guessing the age of this wine" - Alex

1989 L'Evangile (Pomerol)
Fine tannins, a pretty melange of red and black fruits sitting under a complex interweave of structure; great wine

1996 Lafon-Rochet (St Estephe)
Just as you say.

1995 Haut-Bailly (Pessac-Leognan)
Just as you say.

1996 Gloria (St Julien)
Tongue-tingling, sturdy and meaty, with very little St-Julien funk

2001 Nairac (Barsac)
Glyceral, wooly, vigorous, years to go
"That dryness is part of the balance" - Alex

It was a pleasure meeting everyone, and continuing the conversations long after we'd switched from wine to beer....
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:45 am

So we mostly agree.
But of course where we disagree you are wrong. :)
Seriously, good to see you again.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:29 pm

Dale,

Thanks for the notes on the good wines, and right on cue, too, as I was planning on opening my lone 95 Haut Bailly this Sunday.

I’m sorry I missed this one, as I was traveling. I look forward to catching up with AlexR and Patrick in another offline.

Too bad about the glass situation at La Sirene. Also, I had ordered the prix fixe once before and also vowed to stick to a la carte after that. We’ll remember that and we’ll make sure to ask for the better glasses on our next one at the end of the month.

RC
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:33 pm

Nice selection, what did Alex think of all those 'foreign' Burgundies?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:26 pm

Ramon,
I think I'll bring stems next time (Jeff and Chris did this time). Just easier on us (at least if Betsy drives), and restaurant. Looking forward to it.

Rahsaan,
Alex was pretty open to the Burgs. I think he liked the whites. I know he was surprised by the Pommard's youth and tannins, but unsure of his overall opinion. Hopefully when he gets home he'll comment.