The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bartolo Mascarello 1998 Barolo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

WTN: Bartolo Mascarello 1998 Barolo

by Jeff_Dudley » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:00 pm

On short notice, I needed to bring something Italian to a theme dinner and this is the most ready bottle at hand. Dang it. I didn't even have it upright.

Showing a decently saturated cranberry center for a basic Barolo of ten years, the wine's color pales significantly towards the edge and has an amber edge. The nose opens slowly to give just hints of pleasant strawberry, honeysuckle and brown sugar, and it never really changes in two hours. Supple in the mouth, having very light acid and virtually no tannin, this wine of kings is a prince among kings tonight but a popular one. Simple flavors of sweet cherry and tarragon are about all I find, but it works with Marcello's signature short rib and potato braise. Finishes in a lovely wash, very refreshing. It's a popular wine at the table however, as folks steer away from a Vietti '03 Brunate. Both wines are dwarfed by the amazing nose and flavors of a barely colored '78 Spanna - and I neglected to note the producer, sorry. Bottle #1 of 1, $56.00 from Woodland Hills Wine Co.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Bartolo Mascarello 1998 Barolo

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:50 pm

1st degree infanticide.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

Re: WTN: Bartolo Mascarello 1998 Barolo

by Jeff_Dudley » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:35 pm

Sadly.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin