The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 99 Potel Taillepieds, 93 d'Angerville Champans

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 99 Potel Taillepieds, 93 d'Angerville Champans

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:33 am

As many of you will remember, a few weeks ago I was wringing my hands and gnashing my synapses over a couple of red Burgundy purchases. This was what I ended up buying.

1999 Potel Volnay Taille Pieds
Starts off light acidic and diffuse but after a few hours of air starts to put on welcome weight. At its best it shows juicy deep and ripe controlled fruit with well-framed elegant acids and tannin. However, those moments of clarity are all too rare and for the most part it is still forming itself and probably only has future upside.

1993 d'Angerville Volnay Champans
More evolved than the 99 Potel but also needs several hours of air to start to gain a semblance of composure. Eventually it begins to approximate the seductive silk we all seek, with a sweet texture and very firm tannins. That said, it is also constantly shape shifting, and while it provided much more pleasure than the Potel, it also probably only has future upside. Damned necessities of cellaring Burgundy!

One question on the d'Angerville concerning the oak use. It seemed to have a sweet note that stuck out a tad for me right now. Could that be oak? Something else?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 99 Potel Taillepieds, 93 d'Angerville Champans

by Dale Williams » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Thanks for notes. I've found the Potel wines to be quite good for the usually reasonable pricetags.
No clue re oak regime on '93 Champans, but never remember a d'Angerville showing much new oak.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:42 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Thanks for notes. I've found the Potel wines to be quite good for the usually reasonable pricetags..

Yes, I've had some good experiences, but also some bad ones. Perhaps inevitable for someone making so many wines. Seems like considerable due diligence is required.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:26 pm

Dale Williams wrote:No clue re oak regime on '93 Champans..

For what it's worth, Claude has responded elsewhere that new oak is 20-25% at d'Angerville, now and in the early 90s.