The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Five Italian Reds...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Five Italian Reds...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:52 pm

We tried last night (10/22/08) Some Italian wines:
1. AloisLageder Romigberg DOC: KalterseeClassico AltoAdige (20-45 yr old vines; 100% Schiava/
Schiava piccola & Schiava grigia; http://www.AloisLageder.EU; 12.5%) 2007: Light color; rather
perfumed earthy/mushroomy/minerally light cherry/cranberry slight steely/metallic nose;
tart/tangy/metallic earthy/bright cherry Beaujolais-like some earthy/mushroomy flavor;
med.long metallic/tangy bright/cherry/Beaujolais/fruity slight earthy/mushroomy finish
w/ little tannin; lots of pretty cherry/Beauj-like fruit and a distinct metallic
tanginess. $23.00
flavor; very long earthy/dusty/minerally black cherry/bing cherry/spicy bit tangy
finish; deeper fruit & more earthiness but lots of Pinot-like character; very interesting
red wine. $26.00
sausage/salami ash tray/smoking pipe very perfumed/exotic complex nose; soft/smooth
very strong smoky/pungent/charred/smoked tea/bacon spicy/summer sausage earthy/black
cherry complex flavor; very long strong smoked tea/spicy/summer sausage black cherry
finish w/ light tannins; loaded w/ smokey/charred character; very exotic & complex; can
use another 4-8 yrs. $50.00
cherry tarry/pungent flavor; very long tarry/pungent very acid very tannic/hard/rough
black cherry/earthy/dusty rather rough/rustic finish; badly needs age; much like
a Refosco but w/ fierce acids & tannins; very interesting/exotic/impressive wine.
$30.00
Fr.oak rather perfumed/black cherry/earthy/plummy slight tarry/pungent flavor; very long
very toasty/smokey/Fr.oak some plummy/black cherry/tarry quite tannic finish; badly needs
more age; much in an international/modern style but the Tazzelenghe comes thru load &
clear; impressive/exotic wine. $44.00
________________________________________________________________________________
And yet another BloodyPulpit:
1. Schiava: These were the first (to my knowledge) pure Schiavas I've had. Jancis dismisses
it as a low-class grape w/ no pedigree. I thought they were pretty nice wines, myself.
Maybe better than the Lagreins from there. Also known as Vernatsch in the SudTirol.
Known as Trollinger in Germany. The 8-10 German Trollingers I've had have been dull
as dishwater. Another variety I'd like to see what does in Calif.
the boat Barolo seem like drinking Beaujolais. It's another indigenous Friulian
variety that you hardly ever see. I'm going to be looking for more.
The Dorigo was very much in a more modern/international style and the jacuss is
probably a more authentic expression of the grape. But both were very/very good, a bit
like a Refosco in character. But, man, those acids & tannins....it hurt!! Probably would
be great w/ BarBQue...and being from KansasCity..I know what REAL Que is all about.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Five Italian Reds...(short/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:04 pm

So, how'd that salami end up in that ashtray? Schiava is also St. Maddalener in a certain part of Bolzano (where I recently spent a few gorgeous days!)
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:07 pm

TomHill wrote: AndreasBaranWidman Vernatsch DOC: Sudtiroler (12.5%; Schiava) Kurtatsch/Bolzano 2006:
$26.00

Tom - notes on your notes.

26-buck-a-roos for a schiava?? That's pushing the price envelope to me, while these wines are nice, picnic wines that -to me - ought to retail in the mid-teens.

Dorigo? I have not been impressed with them from what I've tasted so far, finding them 'modernly neutral'. Their best was a desert wine in a small bottle. From picolit grapes. One of the most memorable stickies I've ever had.

Movia
Do they have operations of Both sides of the border? Because I could have sworn I saw an Italian wine from them.

Thanks for the post!
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:48 pm

Mark S wrote:Tom - notes on your notes.

26-buck-a-roos for a schiava?? That's pushing the price envelope to me, while these wines are nice, picnic wines that -to me - ought to retail in the mid-teens.

Well..yeah...probably on the pricey side for something that's just a picnic wine.

Dorigo? I have not been impressed with them from what I've tasted so far, finding them 'modernly neutral'. Their best was a desert wine in a small bottle. From picolit grapes. One of the most memorable stickies I've ever had.

Definitely one of the more mordern producers...but I've generally liked their wines. Not seen their Picolit, though.
Movia
Do they have operations of Both sides of the border? Because I could have sworn I saw an Italian wine from them.

I think they must, Mark. I've seen some Collio wines of theirs I seem to recall. I understand that it's a very porous border. I've been told that some of the best Friulian wines are actually grown in Slovenia.
Tom
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:01 pm

Yeah, the prices on the vernatsch are pretty brutal. I haven't had that much, but give me a vernatsch over a trollinger any day and a lagrein clearly beats a vernatsch for my tastes--lagrein is such an addictive variety, every time I try one, I immediately want to try five more.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:09 pm

I import the Widmann Vernatsch in CA, and here it would sell for $20 if it went retail. I think it mostly goes to restaurants. I also import a Santa Maddalena that sells for about $17. Widmann also makes some extraordinary white wines (including one that contains some Petit Manseng (!).

Tom, I love your comparison of Schiava to Beaujolais, it's very apt. I tell people this all the time, Dolcetto is not the 'Beaujolais of Italy' but Schiava might well be.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:24 pm

Keith M wrote:lagrein is such an addictive variety, every time I try one, I immediately want to try five more.

I agree. I just wish there were five (or more) producers easily available for purchase in the States!
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:48 pm

Rahsaan,

I have three, someone else must have two...
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:58 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:I have three, someone else must have two...

That is a start!

The other part of my sentence was 'easily available', i.e. I'd like to be able to go into one shop and choose amongst all my Lagrein options. Maybe I'm just being selfish and markets don't work that way, but a guy can dream..
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:57 pm

Wait, I have four, someone else must have one.

Where are you living these days, Rahsaan?
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:21 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:Where are you living these days, Rahsaan?

DC.

Macarthurs has a pretty good selection of Italian wines, but I haven't seen any Lagrein.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:21 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:Wait, I have four..

Nice, although even at Paul Marcus I don't think they had all four on the floor did they?
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:39 am

No. I can't name a shop with four at once, you've got me there.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:01 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:No. I can't name a shop with four at once, you've got me there.

Aha!

Maybe I'm just being lazy, but I prefer to patronize a relatively focused set of retailers and develop relationships so I tend to gravitate towards places with comprehensive selections of the regions I like.