The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Henschke, Pahlmeyer, Wegeler, Wild Duck Creek

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Henschke, Pahlmeyer, Wegeler, Wild Duck Creek

by Salil » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:07 am

A great way to start the weekend with some really fun wines and good friends.

2003 Wegeler Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese
Pale yellow in colour. Petrol on the nose with bright peach, apple and pear flavours underneath. Lots more apple and peach flavours on the palate and light mineral notes on the back with moderate acidity and a slightly sweet finish. Nice and refreshing.

2001 Wild Duck Creek Springflat Shiraz
Tightly wound on the nose at first with rich dark fruit flavours, earth, dark chocolate and a little spice emerging with air. Rich and full bodied on the palate with similar flavours to the nose, but this didn't quite have the lifting acidity that my last bottle of this had. Fairly firm, chewy tannins with a long finish showing a touch of alcoholic warmth. Improved significantly, feeling more seamless and integrated with as it got some air in the glass.

2004 Pahlmeyer Merlot
Dark red in colour. Smelled like a fruit bomb at first showing lots of plum, chocolate, dark berries and some fairly perceptible new oak, with the palate echoing the nose. Some toasty notes emerged with air. Some alcohol also showed on the nose as well as on the finish, which spoiled it for me along with the oak which was too much for my liking.

2006 Henschke Henry's Seven
A blend of Shiraz, Grenache, Mourvedre and Viognier. Wine of the night for me (although everyone else preferred the Pahlmeyer, which I found overoaked and a little alcoholic). Fantastic nose - loads of raspberry and cherry with floral notes, earth and lots of Provencal herbs that bring a very young Chateauneuf to mind. Really lovely on the palate as well - full bodied showing bright kirsch and berry flavours mingled with more Provencal herbs and some spices. This has bright acidity giving it lift, a silky smooth texture and a long finish. Delicious, fun and very well balanced.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Henschke, Pahlmeyer, Wegeler, Wild Duck Creek

by Jenise » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:31 pm

Nice evening you had. Let me guess: you brought the riesling.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Henschke, Pahlmeyer, Wegeler, Wild Duck Creek

by Salil » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:23 pm

Good guess (although I did at least bring the Wild Duck)! I needed something to keep me in a good mood in case the reds proved to be too big/clunky for me to handle.

As it turned out, the most clunky thing on the table was the bottle of Pahlmeyer Merlot. That monstrosity belongs in a gym beside the dumbells, NOT in a wine rack.